Science Lab Coordinator (Ref:. 17-07)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 17-07 LO/NRS/CCCAP
Science Lab Coordinator
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a highly competent Science Lab Coordinator for the CIP-China Center for Asia Pacific (CCCAP).
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by the 15 research centers who are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. CCCAP is in the process of opening a sizeable R&D facility in Beijing (Yanqing District), including hiring staff and outfitting the facility with laboratory equipment and furniture. Through its research on root and tuber crops and capacity-building programs, CCCAP aims to boost RTC production in the Asia Pacific region and beyond, accelerate poverty reduction and improve food security.
The position: This position will be based in Yanqing Beijing, China and will report to the Chief Scientist and has a dotted line to Yanqing Property Facilities Manager. The position is expected to provide professional support to lab equipment installation and perform a wide variety of operational and research support services to all CCCAP to guarantee that projects achieve expected results.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Listed below but not limited to,
- Provide efficient and proficient support to install all lab equipment’s according to CIP’s laboratory policies, procedures and CCCAP strategic plan;
- Coordinates operational activities in research laboratory (internal and external) according to best practices; Provide support and assistance related to facilities and equipment issues and coordinate with supplier/producer for regular maintenance and repair;
- Provide support on safety standards and policies in compliance with CIP and local applicable regulations.
- Monitor and mitigate risks that may arise in the laboratories, implementing prevention and mitigation actions;
- Train incoming personnel in proper lab conduct and experimental protocols. Responsible for safety training and compliance;
- Ensure the compliance with best laboratory practices of the labs.
The ideal candidate will have most if not all the following skills, knowledge, experience and personal characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences (Pathology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology) or related science discipline is required, with at least 3 years working experience operating and maintaining science equipment and materials in a laboratory. Experience on roots and tubers will be a plus;
- Strong science equipment maintenance;
- Knowledge in plant pathology, laboratory quality management (ISO 17025 BPM) and risk prevention;
- Advanced level in written and spoken English and Chinese;
- Strong organizational skills to plan lab installation activities, problem solving and coordinate the day-to-day operations of the Science labs.
Conditions: Interested non-nationals are welcome to apply for this locally based position so long as they have a residency status in China. The employment contract will be for a two-year term with possibility of renewal. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth. The successful candidate will receive a compensation package comparable with similar organizations and in line with the candidate’s qualification and experience.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), attaching the following documents in English: a cover letter summarizing their relevance to this position, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on May 1 2017 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Yanqing
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2017-07-14