Livelihoods Officer (National Contract)
We are looking for experienced Livelihoods Officer will be responsible for coordinating, overseeing and directly implementing DRC’s livelihood activities under current BPRM and UNHCR funding in Ma’an. The individual will report directly to the Senior Livelihood Officer based in Karak with managerial oversight by the Field Coordinator based in Karak.
Who are we?
DRC is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. With the vision that no displaced person must be in want of help to find protection and durable solutions, DRC provides assistance and protection to conflict-affected in many of the major conflicts in Asia, Africa and Middle East. The assistance can consist of relief and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and support to returning home, and the promotion of durable solutions.
About the job
In Ma’an, DRC is currently implementing the following programs: 1) a multi-year project funded by the US Bureau for Population, Refugees, and Migration (BPRM) which aims to contribute to improve the self-reliance capacities of vulnerable Syrian refugee and Jordanian populations; and 2) a 9-month project funded by UNHCR which aims to provide a livelihood referral pathway to enhance self-reliance of Syrian refugees and Jordanians.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversee and supervise all livelihood activities in Ma’an
• Organise recurring financial literacy training sessions and the distribution of micro business grants to participants;
• Meet with key stakeholders and potential private sector sponsors to facilitate potential work permit opportunities for Syrian refugees;
• Facilitate the work permit allocation process in coordination with private sector sponsors and the Directorate of Labour;
• Co-coordinate the launch of assessments, key informant interviews, and focus group discussions on livelihoods and market ecosystems in each base;
• Manage the roll out and operations of a tool library in Ma’an in coordination with programme and technical staff;
• Launch a private sector and labour market service mapping exercise within Ma’an;
• Oversee the mapping of beneficiary skills in the community center
• Assist in the design and translation of informative materials as needed, including presentations, handouts, and exercises;
• Ensure livelihood activities are implemented in a way that meets or exceeds standards set by DRC;
• Support in data collection, monitoring, and evaluation efforts with DRC’s Monitoring and Evaluation assistants as needed;
• Support continual improvement of DRC’s livelihood activities by capturing and sharing key challenges, articulating obstacles and proposed solutions, and identifying success stories to highlight.
To be successful in this role you must have:
• Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, political/social sciences, public administration, international, development or a relevant equivalent;
• 0-3 years of experience working with an NGO.
• Good interpersonal skills and ability to foster communication and negotiation among local stakeholders;
• Strong organizational and time management skills;
• Ability to work effectively as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team and to work with a wide range of government and community counterparts, and other stakeholders;
• Understanding of the socio-economic conditions of Syrian refugee populations;
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a six months contract including three months’ probation period, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work at mid of May 2017 and be willing and able to work in Ma’an -Jordan.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at Grade D.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 30 -April - 2017.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Ma'an
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-04-30