Child Protection Officer (Temporary Appointment), NOB; Cox's Bazar, (Only for Bangladeshi)
PURPOSE OF THE JOB Under the general supervision of Chief Field Office provide professional technical assistance and support for the design, planning and implementation, management and evaluation of Child Protection programme activities, data analysis and progress reporting, in support of achievement of programme goals and objectives.
KEY END-RESULTS EXPECTED
1. Effective knowledge management and system, information exchange and the development of training and orientation materials developed and deployed for strengthening of country programme management and activities.
2. Situation Analysis prepared/updated, critical programme intervention point/measures identified, and programme work plans/recommendations prepared and incorporated. Programme reports prepared as required.
3. Programme funds optimally used.
4. Programme monitoring and evaluations effectively conducted to improve programme performance, and programme status report timely prepared.
5. Rights-based and results-based programming approach fully incorporated into all phases of programme and projects processes.
6. Commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners gained and established.
7. Rights perspective and advocacy at the community and family levels incorporated in policy analysis for establishing and elevating UNICEF's credibility in national and international policy debates.
8. Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme development/management/coordination, information sharing and networking.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
1. Knowledge Management for Programmes
Contribute to country programmes by supporting knowledge management through providing professional assistance in data collection and analysis, complete and accurate reporting as well as participation in the Programme Knowledge Network system of "lessons learned" and other corporate-level databases.
Participate in information exchange with partners as well as in the development of training and orientation material by providing professional technical assistance. Participate in the preparation of, and making professional contribution to, the preparation of programme reports required for the management. Utilisation of ActivityInfo coordination/management and reporting tool will be developed.
2. Programme Development and Management
Provide professional technical assistance in the preparation of the Situation Analysis for programme development and management by collecting and analyzing data and monitoring implementation progress. Contribute to the identification of critical intervention points and measures by administering a consistent and transparent monitoring system; analyse country level socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects. Draft or prepare programme work plans as required. Propose adjustments/changes in work plans. Propose program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods and practices for supervisor.
3. Optimum Use Of Program Funds
Monitors programme implementation progress and compliance. Monitors the allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated. Takes appropriate recommendations or actions to optimize use of programme funds.
4. Programme Monitoring and Evaluations
Undertakes field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation and decides on required corrective action.
Collaborate with partners to carry out a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation and participate in the major programme evaluation exercises in consultation with the Representative, the Operations Officer, the Evaluation Officer and others to improve efficiency and quality of programme delivery. Participate in annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Collaborate and prepare annual program status reports in a timely manner, as required.
5. Rights-Based and Results-Based Programme Management Approach
Support rights-based programmes approach in the formulation of programme goals and objectives and development of strategies and implementation frameworks. Collaborate with partners and assist in the strengthening of quality of child rights-based programmes consistent and effective planning, design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of programmes and projects. Contribute to coherence, synergy and added value to the programming planning and design processes using a results-based management approach to programme planning and design.
Provide professional technical assistance in preparing viable recommendations on project implementation, alternative approaches, and optimal utilization of resources that contribute effectively to the fulfilment of the rights of children and women, and recommendations on programme, new initiatives and management issues to ensure achievement of stated objectives.
6. National and Local Capacity Building/Sustainability
Provide government authorities with technical assistance and supports in planning and organizing training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability.
Promote and maintain the building and reinforcing of the commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners by identifying these partners and partnerships and providing continuous supports, coordination and collaboration for sustainability.
Training on CPiE and minimum standarts in CPiE will be implemented as well.
7. Rights Perspective and Advocacy at the National, Community and Family Levels
Analyze programme related issues and policies from a children's and women's rights perspective and advocacy at the community and family levels for elevating credibility in national policy debates. Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through active advocacy and communication.
8. Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration.
Support the Child Protection Specialist in the facilitation of partnerships, coordination and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate development data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation and movement/distribution of supplies
Collaborate with the Operations Section to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of programming endeavours and to coordinate financial and supply management requirements and accountability. Approve allocation and disbursement of funds ensuring they are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated in accordance with the programme budget allotments (PBA).
Maintain close collaboration with relevant Programme Officers in Chittagong Field Office and UNICEF office in Dhaka.
Provide professional support in provision of technical advice, negotiation, advocacy and promotion of area/country level goals, leading to agreement on practicable and priority actions to be supported by UNICEF programme.
JOB GRADE FACTORS 
QUALIFICATION and COMPETENCIES ( [ ] indicates the level of proficiency required for the job. )
University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in conflict resolution.
Five years of relevant professional work experience in the field of Child Protection.
Field work experience
Background/familiarity with Emergency.
Local working language of the duty station
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ II ]
• Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
• Analyzing [ I ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ I ]
• Learning and Researching [ II ]
• Planning and Organizing [ II ]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
• Child Protection progamme planning and implementation
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required
• Methodology of programme/project management
• UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
• Gender equality and diversity awareness
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
 The differences in the grades of jobs and positions reflect various differences, among others, in the nature and scope of work, individual contribution, professional expertise required, organizational context, risks, coordination and networking, engagement, partners, beneficiaries, clients/stakeholders relations, impact of decisions, actions and consequences, and leadership roles.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Cox's Bazaar
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Social studies
- Human Rights
- Humanitarian Aid
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Civil Society
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2017-05-20