Nutrition Specialist, (Monitoring and Evaluation), NO-C, New Delhi - Re-advertisement (This is a Temporary Appointment for 364 days. The vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only)
New Delhi (India)
UNICEF CDN Programme proposes a position of Nutrition Specialist (Monitoring and Evaluation) (NO-C level on Temporary Appointment) to guide the implementation, monitoring and dissemination of the comprehensive national nutrition survey. This will contribute to ensuring the effective implementation and dissemination of the nationwide survey in accordance with the approved protocol by the MoHFW, Government of India. As per the HR policy, initially the Temporary Appointment may be given for 364 days with a further extension of 365 days as per the requirement of the project. CDN project has the funding support from Mittal grant to support this proposed NOC- TA position.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the post:
The Comprehensive National Nutrition Survey is a massive project covering >120,000 children 0-19 years of age in all 30 states of India. CDN Programme currently has no staff member specializing in survey design, survey implementation, data collection and large scale survey monitoring and evaluation. For an effective management of the survey, UNICEF CDN Programme urgently need to hire a Nutrition Specialist (Monitoring and Evaluation) at NOC position on Temporary Appointment to guide the design, implementation, monitoring and dissemination of the survey. The incumbent will be fully dedicated to the project, leading the coordination of all stakeholders and partners that are engaged in the survey, providing timely and relevant information to various project stakeholders and lisase with the MoHFW. It is anticipated that data collection of Comprehensive National Nutrition Survey in all 30 states will be completed by December 2017 and the analysis of the massive data, national and state factsheets and reports and a series of relevant thematic papers will be prepared during 2018.
In this context, UNICEF CDN Programme proposes a position of Nutrition Specialist (Monitoring and Evaluation) (NO-C level on Temporary Appointment) to guide the implementation, monitoring and dissemination of the comprehensive national nutrition survey. This will contribute to ensuring the effective implementation and dissemination of the nationwide survey in accordance with the approved protocol by the MoHFW, Government of India. As per the HR policy, initially the Temporary Appointment may be given for 364 days with a further extension of 365 days as per the requirement of the project. CDN project has the funding support from Mittal grant to support this proposed NOC- TA position.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure the effective implementation of the nationwide survey in accordance with the approved protocol. This includes i) Guiding and supervising organizations that are sub-contacted to implement the survey; ii) Coordinating and assisting therefresher training of data collectors and other project staff that are engaged in the survey implementation; iii) Collecting, compiling, and analyzing reports prepared by implementing partners and preparing consolidated donor progress reports;iv) Paying field visits to monitor the performance of data collectors and other project staff for a quality-control purposeand takes corrective action as necessary.
- Provide technical support to implementing partners/consultants in implementation of nationwide survey with quality. This includes i) Coordinating a series of TAG meetings ii) Technical review of the quality of training of data collectors iii) Technical support in data quality assurance iv)Regular review and feedback meetings with survey partners//consultants.
- Provide technical support in preparation of results and learnings of the survey. This includes i) development of factsheet; ii) technical support in interpretation of data/findings iii) development of survey reportsiv) PEER review publications on key findings.
- Coordinating and maintaining close communication with all stakeholders and partners involved in the survey including MoHFW, representatives from the TAG, external consultants and field staff when appropriate .
- Provide technical support in disseminating relevant statistical information/survey findings/results at national and international forums. Also prepare presentations and other documents as required.
- Coordinates the effective and efficient use of UNICEF's resources allocated to the project, including proper and timely disbursements and accounting of funds as per UNICEF financial procedures.
- Master's degree in any of the following: Statistics, Epidemiology, Population Studies/Demography, Nutrition, Public Health, Public Health Nutrition, etc.; Advanced degree, PhD preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels in designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating large-scale health and nutrition surveys, handling databases and analysis of data using statistical software such as STATA and SPSS. Working experience with national and international organizations including UN agencies.
- Fluency in English required. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station is an asset.
Core Values (Required)
- Diversity and Inclusion
Core Competencies (Required)
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
Functional Competencies (Required)
- Leading and Supervising [ I ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ III]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ ]
Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes.
Advanced Technical Knowledge of theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas:
- Professional technical knowledge and expertise in Large-scale Population based Survey Design, Survey Implementation, Data Collection, Evaluation Process Management, Programme Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Nutritional Epidemiology, Nutrition Research, Biostatistics, Biochemistry, Socio-medical Sciences,
- Public Health & Nutrition, International Health & Nutrition, Public Health & Nutrition Policy and Management, Population and Family Health & Nutrition, Public Health Preparedness, Health Emergency Preparedness.
Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ ]
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in demography, statistics, and data management.
- Methodology of M&E, theories, standards and models, quantitative/qualitative/mixed methods, validity/reliability testing of data, data analysis and interpretation, and statistical inference methods.
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Activity Monitoring & Evaluation, Evaluation Design, data analysis, and reporting.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Knowledge of theories and practices in:
- Child and Maternal Nutrition and Health
- Nutrition and Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
- Public Health and Nutrition
- Educational Interventions in Health and Nutrition Care
- Environmental Health and Nutrition
- Health and Nutrition Education
- Knowledge Management
- Computer software application, including word processing, spreadsheet and data analysis software packages such as SPSS/STATA
General knowledge of:
- Methodology of programme/project management
- Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies in Nutrition
- Policies and strategy to address national and global health and nutrition issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
- Government development plans and policies
- UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers and agency-wide programmes impacting on nutrition results, e.g. Ending Child Hunger and Under-nutrition, UNICEF Joint Health and Nutrition Strategy
- Office work plan
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
- Knowledge/expertise of best practices, lessons learned and communication.
- Understanding of UNICEF's policies and procedures for programming, monitoring and evaluation guidelines.
- Latest programme monitoring and evaluation theory, methodology, technology and tools.
- Understanding of UN Mission and system; and International Code of Conduct.
- Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and observance of UNICEF Guiding Principles
Other skills and attributes:
- Strong statistical and analytical, quantitative and qualitative research skills, preferably in health and nutrition
- Knowledge of standard computer softwares, internet navigation and various office applications
- Specialized training in survey and research
- Ability to organize and implement training
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization
- Good analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
- Experience with and understanding of how government data collection systems work will be an asset
- In depth understanding and knowledge of thePublic Health Nutrition / Child and Maternal Nutrition Sector
- Current knowledge of Child and Maternal Nutrition issues, development strategies and programming policies and procedures in development cooperation
- Drive for results
- Understanding of the importance and role of partnerships.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills
- Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
- Report Writing
Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
Candidates are informed that all applications are subject to background verification which may include academic and professional experience.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New Delhi (India)
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Mid level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Public Health and Health Service
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2017-05-06
Paris | Port-au-Prince (France)
P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position
Bukavu (Congo Democratic)