GBV Officer (National Position), Kirkuk Office
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the Gender Based Violence (GBV) Project.The GBV Officer supervises the mobile and Centre GBV Staff to implement their daily tasks and responsibilities. GBV Officer provides regular progress reports to GBV Project Coordinator. The position will be based in Kirkuk with frequent visits to the refugee and IDP camps.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate in relevant field with 1-2 years of experience from working as a Project Officer and Project Management in humanitarian and recover/context. The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. The candidate should have documented results related to the position responsibilities. Fluency in spoken, written Kurdish, Arabic and English languages. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Oversee current GBV activities in the area of operation, including safety audits and GBV mainstreaming initiatives, particularly with NRC WASH and Shelter teams
- Attend GBV, protection and coordination meetings in the area of operation
- With support from the GBV Project Coordinator, start and oversee GBV program activities in the field
- Implement GBV emergency programming as directed including smoothly running community centres
- Coordinate with other Officers on training and community mobilization needs
- Assist in the training of staff in GBV and broader protection prevention and response best practices
- Assist and lead, where appropriate, GBV trainings for service providers, community members, and other relevant actors
- Ensure refugee and IDP project activities are running according to donor requirements and meet project indicators
- Manage data responsibly including the timely completion of monthly reports, assessments, beneficiary numbers, etc
- Implementation of outreach and awareness-raising activities and campaigns
- Any other task assigned by the GBV Project Coordinator.
- Experience in protection and Gender Based Violence (GBV) concepts
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Strong Arabic, Kurdish and English language skills, both written and verbal.
- Significant experience in working with young adults and women
- Strong commitment to gender equality and equity
- Excellent computer skills especially with Microsoft word
- Experience in report writing, monitoring, and evaluation
The post will be for (12) months contract duration with possible extension - subject to fund
Salary: 5/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Kirkuk with frequent visits to site operations of NRC
For more information, please find attached the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Kirkuk
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Closing Date: 2017-05-08