Hub Manager (Internal Announcement/National Contract)
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading global displacement agency working in 40 countries, in conjunction with our specialist mine action unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG), which has been working in Afghanistan since 1999. DRC commenced operations in Afghanistan in 2011 and is today a leading actor in humanitarian response with membership of the Humanitarian Country Team and recent high-level representation at the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan. DRC-DDG Afghanistan is part of DRC’s Central & South-West Asia (CASWA) region covering Afghanistan, Iran and Paki-stan. Within an overall strategic framework of responding to emergencies, seeking solutions to pro-tracted displacement; and tackling root causes, DRC-DDG Afghanistan’s current programming encompasses: mine action, emergency response, protection, armed violence reduction, and livelihoods. With more than 500 fulltime national and international staff members, offices in Kabul, Jalalabad, Kandahar, Herat and Mazar-i-Sharif and a portfolio in 2016 of USD 13 million, DRC-DDG Afghanistan is one of the largest INGOs operating in Afghanistan.
About the job:
- Overseeing Hub Programme activities and Provide direct support to Jalalabad Area Manager.
- On behalf of the Area Manager Act as DRC-DDG representative for Hub, and lead Hub staff and provide technical guidance.
- Ensure gender mainstreamed though out Hub activities, and support the engagement of men and women of the community in discussions around women’s rights and gender based violence.
- Identify and build a strong network with relevant local line departments and communities in the area.
- Strengthen the ties/cooperation with departments, and encourage a positive, innovative and mutually supportive team spirit amongst the Jalalabad team.
- Analyse undocumented returnees’ context and provide support in designing adequate and timely delivery of Hub related services and other humanitarian assistance to vulnerable returnees in Jalalabad Province.
- Support capacity building of relevant govt. departments towards toward protection related issues including SGBV.
- Lead and Provide support in need assessment surveys for future programming.
- Ensure referrals mechanism is established to channel dignified and violation cases to appropriate organizations for further assistance and support.
- Submit weekly and monthly progressive report reflecting Hub monthly all Hub programme activities and submit to Area Manager in Jalalabad.
- Provide routine updates in regards to undocumented returnees population movements, forced return and arbitrary arrest
- Support protection related advocacy initiatives
- Attend relevant cluster/working group meetings hosted by other NGOs and UN agencies that address protection and human rights issues of concerned population,
- Ensure compliance with DRC’s internal reporting system and participate in the DRC internal coordination mechanisms as requested by the AM.
- Ensure adequate Safety and Security protocols are in place and all staff in Hub are compliant with these protocols and measurements
- Perform other duties, as needed or requested.
- Availability: 1 May 2017
- Duty station: DRC Area Office East (Jalalabad HUB)
- DRC-DDG will offer the successful applicant a 1 Year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff. This position will be placed at salary Grade A, level 1, basic 2,338 USD.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in NGOs or INGOs
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of protection activities
- Be familiar with the Undocumented Refugee context,
- Bachelor in Law and Political Science.
- Working experience with communities especially in SGBV programming
- Good English and excellent Pashto
- Essential knowledge of Returnees populations.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Knowledge of national law and/or human rights principles and laws
- Computer skills including MS- Office
- Ability to handle multiple tasks; proven self-initiative and problem solving abilities;
- Willingness to travel within Herat/Jalalabad and Kabul (occasionally);
- A commitment to protecting human rights.
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
• Fluency in Dari and Pashto, both written and verbal
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
Collaboration: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC-DDG vision and values.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 30 April 2017. However, please note due to the urgency of this position, shortlisting process will be ongoing. Should we find qualified candidates prior to expiry of this advert, interviews will be held immediately.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Jalalabad
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-04-30