Finance Technical Officer - Turkey
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
A job description is a written statement that describes the employee’s role and responsibilities. The role and responsibilities shall be executed within the NRC framework. The job description facilitates the recruitment process by stating the necessary competencies. It is mandatory for all positions.
Position : Technical Finance Officer
Reports to : Finance Manager
Supervision of : N A
Duty station : Ankara
Travel : 20%
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Maintaining cashbox.
- Monitor cash flow and budgets.
- Focal point for corporate banking.
- Conduct cash withdrawals from NRC's corporate bank account.
- Process payments both for petty cash and for bank account.
- Prepare month closing documents and assist Finance Manager for the process
- Ensure adherence with NRC Financial Handbook, Anti-corruption Policy, SOPs and other financial specific procedures.
- Prepare and process salary payment for national staff.
- Provide finance induction to staff in all aspects related to accounting, finance and budget.
- Coordinate with HR department for preparation of Social Security payments.
- Lead on timely records on NRC Accounting System (Agresso)
- Ensure proper filing of Finance documentation.
- Coordinate with certified accountant for tax payments etc.
- Scan and send all financial documents to certified accountant on a monthly basis.
- Support project staff in financial matters.
- Dealing with audit process. Provide every information and documents the auditors need.
- Ensuring accountancy records are booked in a timely manner.
- Enter accounting entries into accounting software (Agresso).
- Ensure there is proper supporting documentation for all payments and other accounting entries.
- Processes incoming invoices and vouchers, ensuring that backup is complete, accurate and fully approved, coding on all vouchers for valid account/Project Code/Donor Code and vouchers entered into bank and cashbooks and keep it updated on daily basis.
- Assist the program team to review of actual versus budget expenditures
- Assist in reviewing the Budget versus Actuals (BvA) regularly to avoid under/over spending the budgets.
- Assist Finance Manager to update Master Budget to ensure the budget lines used effectively.
- Assist in preparation of financial reports and budgets.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- Technical Finance Officer is in close contact with external accountant regarding monthly transactions and calculation of relevant taxes such as withholding tax and stamp tax.
- He/she is in close contact with HR department in preparation of payroll and social security voucher.
- He/she is in close contact with Logistics and program departments for the supporting document provision.
- He/she is in close contact with external audits regarding the verification of the transactions and compliance.
- He/she is in close contact with Gaziantep office regarding the supporting documents preparation for the payments done in Turkey office on behalf of Gaziantep office.
Scale and scope of position
No staff directly managed by the post holder at the moment.
The post has relationship with UNHCR regarding the verification of the financial reports.
Legal or compliance:
As being the member of Finance department, the post holder has the responsibility for donor compliance, Turkish Law compliance and NRC rules and regulations compliance.
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organisation to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
Generic professional competencies:
• Experience from working as a Support Function Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Some knowledge of English
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
• Previous experience of at least 1 year in Humanitarian / Recovery Context will be highly regarded.
• Previous experience of managing external funds (Institutional Donors) will be highly regarded.
• Previous experience of mentoring and capacity building to local partners will be highly regarded.
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
• Handling insecure environment
• Planning and delivering results
• Empowering and building trust
• Communicating with impact and respect
3. Performance Management
The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
• The Job Description
• The Work and Development Plan
• The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
• The End-term Performance Review Template
• The NRC Competency Framework
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Ankara
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Finance and Banking
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2017-05-07