Technical Advisor, Policy Reform
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Advisor, Policy Reform
FHI 360 is currently recruiting for the position of Technical Advisor, Policy Reform for an anticipated USAID/Rwanda off-farm employment opportunities program (Nguriza Nshore). The purpose of Nguriza Nshore is to facilitate the emergence of a dynamic off-farm sector that can generate greater employment at a higher wage for the broad majority of Rwandans who are currently engaged in subsistence agriculture and other marginal economic activities. By alleviating constraints to entrepreneurship and increasing access to financing, off-farm businesses will be created and will grow to provide productive employment for rural populations and reduce poverty.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Identify key national policy coordination and reform needs through consultation with employers, training providers, job seekers, and local government authorities.
- Develop project-level reform agenda based on coordination and identified needs in order to strengthen the national and local policy environment to support economic growth, business expansion, and investment in new and growing sectors; particularly to strengthen the ability to create and expand jobs and opportunities for economic participation among women, at-risk youth, persons with disabilities, refugees, and other vulnerable groups.
- Facilitate dialogue between the public and private sector to address bottlenecks to economic growth and investment.
- Support policy analysis and related reform.
- Oversee analysis of related topics to inform dialogue, reform, and monitoring.
- Prepare issue papers and policy briefs for consideration by managerial staff to guide strategy and policy formulation.
- Conduct formative research through government entities, private sector, and implementing partners to design communication and policy messaging content.
- With the Communications Manager, strengthen capacities of government and other partners to develop and manage advocacy and communication activities.
- Advanced degree in economics, law, business, public policy, or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in employment policy advisory services, including prior experience in Rwanda.
- Experience developing information and advocacy networks in the public or private sector.
- Experience analyzing labor market information from across East and Southern Africa, preferably Rwanda, to identify policy constraints and support related reform.
- Experience in employment policy formulation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated by previous experience collaborating and consulting with the private and public sector.
- Fluency in English and either Kinyarwanda or French.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360's Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
- Organization: FHI 360
- Location: Kigali
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Policy and Administration
- Public Policy and Administration
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-05-24