Field Safety and Security Coordinator - South Sudan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been operational in South Sudan since 2004 providing assistance to IDPs, returnees, refugees and host communities in areas affected by displacement. NRC currently operates an integrated programme focused on six sectors (core competencies): Education, Shelter, Food Security, WASH, Camp Coordination/Camp Management (CCCM) and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA).
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC programmes are designed to provide protection and durable solutions for IDPs, refugees and returnees. In South Sudan NRC focuses both on emergency humanitarian responses and early recovery work.
The position holder will report to Project Manager with a Technical Line to Security Advisor and supervision of Project Officers
This same advert may be used to deployment to other Country offices other than one initial published for.
- Generic Responsibilities
- To ensure safety and security of NRC personnel, NRC assets and its image/reputation during field missions assigned to
- Take the lead
- Support the country Safety and Security Team
- Specific responsibilities
- Conduct context, situational and risk analysis on assigned locations prior to deployment
- Develop mission specific Safety and Security Management Plans that includes SOPs and Contingency Plans
- Based on the Safety and Security Management plan ensure the team is fully equipped (for example; first aid kits, life vests if boat travel involved etc) for the mission.
- Conduct pre-deployment trainings/briefings to all team members prior to each mission
- Ensure compliance of NRC Safety and Security Management policies and procedures
- While on deployment provide the RRT members daily situational updates and relevant safety and security advice in consultation with the team leader
- As per country specific Safety and Security procedures provide the Juba security office with updates twice daily.
- Ensure timely reporting of any security incidents and/or information that may lead to an incident which can negatively affect safety and security of NRC staff, assets, reputation and operations
- Respond to and/or assist Team Leader to respond to any security incident or accident in the field involving any NRC staff, vehicle or asset and Report to NRC SA immediately
- Assess training needs and organize relevant trainings for RRT members with the assistance of the Safety and Security Adviser
- Build and maintain contacts with other security actors in the field and at Juba level and ensure operational linkages with other UN Agency and NGO partners involved in integrated missions as and when appropriate.
- Submit to the Area Manager and Safety and Security Advisor a mission report at the end of each mission highlighting any changes to Context, Situation and Risk Assessments and to the SOPs and Contingency Plans used for the benefit of future missions.
- Additional responsibilities
- Support the country Safety and Security Management Team by performing any other safety and security management related tasks delegated/approved by the NRC Security Advisor.
- Report any and all protection concerns (general and/or related to NRC missions)to Security Advisor
- Cover for Security Advisor in his absence
- Ensure all team member are aware of the NRC Code of Conducts
- Relevant university degree or higher education, preferably in security
- 4 years of experience from working in security management in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical expertise in security management required
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Be conversant and have good understanding of the NRC and WFP security management procedures and the function of UNDSS in management of security of UN agencies.
- Knowledge of the context in South Sudan
- Experience in start-up, exit of programmes or similar
- Solid understanding and experience in crisis/incident management and working in complex emergencies
- Industrial safety / Civil defence
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Ability to work under extremely stressful conditions, with very basic living conditions available.
- Travel extensively and meet deadlines at very short notice
- Ability to work with diplomacy, tact and sensitivity and experience in working within different cultural contexts requiring cultural sensitivity
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations and ability to work under pressure and in response to changing needs
- Motivated and dedicated to NRC values and ways of working
- High degree of creativity and initiating new ideas
- Transparent and accountable
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: 5 months -with possiblity of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Juba-Roving
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Sudan
- Grade: Level not specified
- Security policy
- Security and Safety
- Emergency Aid
- Security and Safety
- Security policy
- Closing Date: 2017-05-10