Re-advertised Regional Programme Advisor - Region Horn of Africa
NRC’s Horn of Africa & Yemen operation comprises of large-scale multi-country humanitarian and early recovery interventions spread across nine countries (Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, Djibouti, South Sudan, Eritrea and Yemen), and most recently Uganda and Tanzania. NRC’s overall strategy in the region is to ensure a greater number of vulnerable people in hard to reach areas get access to humanitarian assistance, become resilient to future disasters and find durable solution. The Regional Office is based in Nairobi and works with country programmes to ensure standardization of programmatic and operational approaches, promote multi country programming and ensuring quality and coordination.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The purpose of role of Regional Programme Advisor (RPA) is to provide specialist advice and guidance to the Country Directors (CD) and/or Heads of Programme (HoP) in ensuring that optimal programme strategies, structures, systems and resources are in place; and to assist the Country Office (CO) to ensure that donor obligations and requirements are met. The RPA will in addition be responsible for securing funding from Donors, responsible for identifying funding opportunities in the region; developing plans to compete for these funding opportunities; executing those plans, as well as proposal preparation and submission; contributing to the Organization’s external representation and internal fundraising efforts.
- Generic responsibilities
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Responsible for quality control of donor proposals and reports, and internal programme strategy documents and reports, in regards to NRC strategies and donor compliance.
- Provide specialist support, advice and guidance to programme development and to strategic planning in country programmes.
- Support evaluations in country programmes.
- Promote lessons learned and best practices into programme development in country programmes, including from M&E products (such as GORS and Evaluations).
- Responsible for PCM support, including facilitation and delivery of trainings, to country programmes within the region.
- Coordinate internal reporting and facilitate meetings between country offices the Regional Office and Head Office as required, ensure correct archiving of key Country Office strategy, programme and project documentation, and keep oversight of Country Office proposal and reporting deadlines.
- Responsible to stay updated on specific countries and/ or themes as assigned.
- Specific responsibilities
- Identify and track relevant upcoming funding opportunities – through advance intelligence gathering, partner relationships, and other available resources – and inform Regional Office(RO) or relevant Country Offices (COs)
- Conduct prospecting visits to Country Offices to identify and support in preparing for upcoming funding opportunities.
- Support in the pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning including: teaming, bid strategy, development of win-themes, oversight of and contribution to technical design, drafting management and other sections of the proposal in advance of the solicitation.
- Manage major proposal submissions for key donors, including teaming agreements, oversight of technical design and cost proposal, capacity statements, internal review/quality control processes, drafting sections of the proposal where appropriate.
- Represent NRCs Proposal development interests at relevant meetings, events, and within resource mobilization or donor-specific peer networks
- Providing leadership to diverse international proposal bid teams which includes: pulling together bid materials (proposals, presentations and concept notes), design and lead on proposal development workshops to design and validate consortia/bid team inputs
- Providing high quality proposal and budget review to other proposals and support capacity building and training of country office teams on proposal development.
- Responsible for the review of key reports for the selected county programmes in the region to ensure high quality that meets donor requirements
- Support with grants start up meetings, programme reviews and ensure lesson learned are captured and documented to help improve on the programme delivery in the selected countries of support
- Promote the rights of the displacement affected communities(Refugees/ IDPs/returnees) in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Minimum 5 years of experience within the humanitarian/recovery context, of which 3 years of Manager/Advisor experience
- Specialist knowledge and expertise equivalent to an advanced university degree in a relevant field (e.g. international development, politics, social science)
- 5 years of experience in successful proposal development for key European, US and other donors, including pre-solicitation preparation. Experience with donor solicitations is required; substantive relevant experience in proposal development for other multilateral or bilateral donors may be considered within the years of experience sought
- Experience developing proposals and reports for various key donors (NMFA, UNHCR, DFID, ECHO etc.)
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively communicate with and coordinate activities of multiple partners, including field-based staff
- Excellent technical skills in writing, editing, formatting, research, negotiation and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and sense of humor
- Willingness and ability to travel within the region, sometimes with little advance notice
- International field experience in one of the organization’s relevant technical sector is a plus.
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English both written and verbal
- Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience working with overall strategy development and planning
- Expertise/knowledge about the Horn of Africa region
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
- Duty station: Nairobi with 20-30% travel to Country Offices
- Contract period: 12 Months with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- NB: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-05-10