(Ref. No. NRS/202/042017)
DRIVER/ TECHNICAL ASSISTANT (2 POSITIONS)
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 150 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www. icipe.org
Please also download icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2013–2020 http://www.icipe.org/publications/corporatepublications/vision-and-strategy
icipe seeks to recruit Driver/Technical Assistants. The position is for an initial fixed-term of 2 years, renewable, based on performance and availability of funds. This is a nationally recruited position. A competitive and generous compensation package will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates meeting the itemised requirements will be contacted.
Overall purpose of the job
To assist the following Plant Health theme projects field research activities in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania: EntoNUTRI (Developing and Implementing Insect-based Products to Enhance Food and Nutritional Security in Sub-Saharan Africa), IBCARP (Integrated Biological Applied Research Control Programme) and SCIPM (Strengthening Citrus Production Systems through the Introduction of IPM Measures for Pests and Diseases in Kenya and Tanzania).
- Assist the scientists, PhD and MSc students in performing routine field activities related to the Plant Health Theme.
- Provide logistical support to the Plant Health Theme at icipe and during field activities.
- Participate and support laboratory activities when based at icipe headquarters.
- Liaise with field staff of NARS partners and community members to undertake field activities.
- Driving Plant Health Theme project vehicles in the research areas and on any errands within Nairobi and its environs.
- Carry out routine basic maintenance of the vehicles as deemed necessary to keep them in good working condition.
- Carry out other daily chores, casual labour, and any other activities assigned by the supervisor.
- Possess a mean grade ‘D’ in the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE), or equivalent level of education.
- Must be aged below 40 years.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both English and Kiswahili is essential.
- Familiarity with the geography (road network) in East Africa will be an added advantage.
- Prior experience with similar research and development organisation and knowledge of basic concepts in conducting experiments will be an added advantage.
- The Driver/Technical Assistant shall submit to the Supervisor, a bi-annual progress report (by the end of each January and July) based on the agreed work plan. The progress report contains a vehicle movement report and calendar of events per each assisted project.
- Possess a valid and accident-free driving licence, with at least three years post-qualification driving experience and good knowledge of automobile mechanics.
- Must have basic computer skills such as MS Word and must be able to communicate via e-mail.
Other desirable attributes
- The candidate must be willing to learn new skills that relate to the overall work activities of the Plant Health Theme.
This position reports to the scientists.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted up to 10th May 2017, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter, (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
- Organization: ICIPE - International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Junior
- Administrative support
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-05-10