Station Administrative Coordinator
(Ref. No. NRS/199/042017)
STATION ADMINISTRATIVE COORDINATOR
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 150 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www. icipe.org
Please also download icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2013–2020 http://www.icipe.org/publications/corporatepublications/vision-and-strategy
icipe seeks to recruit a Station Administrative Coordinator to work in the Finance Department, Administration Section. The position is tenable in Mbita, western Kenya at the icipe Thomas Odhiambo campus (ITOC). The position is for an initial fixed-term of 2 years, renewable, based on performance and availability of funds. This is a nationally recruited position. A competitive and generous compensation package will be offered to the right candidate. Only shortlisted candidates meeting the itemised requirements will be contacted.
Overall purpose of the job
- To provide coordination of all facilities, plants and equipment at the Station and maintenance of regular linkage between the Station and Duduville, while ensuring open and clear lines of communication.
- To provide support to research work carried out at the station.
- Liaise with the relevant specialists, and coordinate the development and implementation of maintenance plans for all facilities, including equipment, plant, buildings, roads, grounds and other infrastructure. Continuously review and ensure the desired balance between internal execution and outsourcing.
- Manage the outsourced labour services.
- Track engineering, facilities and projects performance KPIs and regularly submit performance reports.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of ITOC and outlying stations (Transport, Estate Management, Guest House, Security, and the Kindergarten and Primary Schools at the ITOC station).
- Provide support to Procurement, Finance and HR through the administrative oversight of relevant staff and provision of accurate internal cost estimates for projects and other works.
- Provide support to professional staff and the scientific community based at Mbita by understanding their needs and responding to them within the constraints of resource availability and guidelines from the Centre.
- Oversee and coordinate the construction of facilities from inception through to completion.
- Develop long-term maintenance plans for buildings and equipment.
- Prepare annual budgets, monitor performance and control to ensure budgets are not exceeded.
- Ensure proper use of company assets under his/her control and efficient use of resources (people, materials and equipment) to reduce any wastage.
- Lead a team of staff with different skills, ensuring that they are aligned to perform to the expected standards by training, motivating and evaluating them.
- Represent the Centre at meetings with the Area Chief and Local Community Elders/Leaders.
- Carry out any other functions that the Supervisor may direct from time to time.
- Minimum of a first degree in any field (a science degree will be a plus) from a recognised university plus qualification in Management.
- At least 5 progressive years of experience leading to a position in managing all facets of an enterprise preferably medium-sized, or mid-level management within a knowledge-intensive organisation.
- Generalised experience acquired to apply the principals to a variety of tasks preferably in science-based environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are mandatory.
- Appropriate financial and business systems skills.
- Conversant with Microsoft Word packages, MS Project, and ERP application software.
Other desirable attributes
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills, decision-making, good judgment, patience, conflict management skills, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for other colleagues at work as a member of a wide team in a multifaceted and multicultural organisation.
This position reports to the Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) and coordinates the security staff at the Station.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted up to 10th May 2017, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter, (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
- Organization: ICIPE - International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology
- Location: Mbita
- Grade: Junior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-05-10