Afghanistan – Emergency Response Mechanism Coordinator - Kabul
Kabul | Afghanistan
Posted on: 28/04/17
Desired start date: 01/06/17
Duration of the mission: 6 months (renewable)
Location: Kabul, with regular field visits on all bases
About the mission
SI has been working in Afghanistan for 37 years. SI is currently implementing in Khost, Bamyan and Wardak provinces the following projects: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (1 ECHO, 1 AFD which is a FSL/NRM project including a WASH part), Emergency(Emergency Response Mechanism) and FSL programs (1 Food distribution and Livelihood, 1 shelter project).
The opening of new areas is forecasted in the 2017 mission strategy, especially for emergency projects: Nangarhar, Paktika, Uruzgan (where population displacements linked to conflicts are reported and where there are gaps in terms of humanitarian presence).
About the Program
After resuming ERM activities in 2016, SI is nowadays a key actor of the ERM programming and consortium in Afghanistan. In 2017, and based on a geographical repartition within 7 ERM partners, SI expects to work in the following provinces: Bamyan, Maydan Wardak, Khost, Paktika and Uruzgan.
The ERM is the flagship program of ECHO to address immediate and life-threatening needs arising from the on-going conflict in Afghanistan and regular natural disasters. The objective of the mechanism is to provide timely, coordinated and principled humanitarian assistance to those affected. Activities are driven by the ERM Common Rationale that defines assessment modalities, selection criteria, response options, response modalities, procurement and monitoring in a joint framework agreed and implemented by all ERM partners across Afghanistan.
Solidarites International will work in partnership with the INGO People in Need on this project.
The results expected from the project are as follow:
1) To provide immediate support for the improvement of the humanitarian situation of targeted vulnerable populations via a multi-sectorial response focusing on Shelter/NFIs, Food Security and WASH, while ensuring the protection of the most vulnerable
2) Targeted households affected by conflict and natural disasters receive timely humanitarian assistance to cover their immediate water, sanitation and hygiene needs to ensure a minimum of safety and dignity to their living conditions.
3) The prepositioning of ERM standard kits allows the timely coverage of NFI, Shelter, and Hygiene needs among targeted disaster affected vulnerable individuals
It means that the project is oriented on cash based intervention, wash activities and stockpiling.
Multisector skills, logistics knowledge and representation are therefore competences required to handle this project.
About the job
The ERM Coordinator is in charge of Solidarités International’s Emergency activities and strategy in Afghanistan and of the coordination of emergency activities (both internal and external) at the country level. He/she is in charge of the follow up of the Humanitarian situation in Afghanistan and the development of emergency activities at mission level.
The ERM Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Country Director based in Kabul. He/She will be as such a part of coordination team.
The ERM Coordinator position’s main objectives are to properly achieve the following global tasks:
1.Management and development of the Emergency Response Mechanism ECHO funded project
- Management of the ERM teams in Wardak, Khost and Bamyan provinces.
- Development of next ERM yearly project.
- To attend proactively all ERM coordination meetings.
2.Trends consolidation and analysis of the contextual and humanitarian situation in Afghanistan
- Secondary data review, follow up of reports, documents and relevant bibliography relevant to security, access and humanitarian response considerations.
- Dissemination of all relevant information within the mission. Development of liaison and sharing tools with the CD including the provision of action points.
3.Development and adjustment of SI overall emergency response in Afghanistan
- Defining - in direct collaboration with the CD - the annual Emergency Strategy for the mission
- Identification and re-prioritization – on the go – of geographical areas for assessment and emergency intervention, in link with the coordinators.
- Follow up of the actual implementation of the defined annual strategy
- Directly supervise emergency deployments & interventions
4.Coordination of Project Cycle Management of Emergency programs
- Proposal Making & Amendment Process
- Internal and External Reporting
- Supervision of Follow up tools
5.External Coordination and Representation towards humanitarian and non-humanitarian actors
- Active Participation to emergency-related meetings & external coordination
- Representation and Fundraising
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in International Relations, International Development, Humanitarian Studies, Logistics, Business, Management, or other related sectors
- 4 to 6 years of professional experience, including 2 to 3 years minimum in the humanitarian environment
- 2 years of experience as Field Coordinator, Program Coordinator or Emergency Coordinator.
- 2 years of experience in conflict and post-conflict contexts.
- Previous experience in security and access analysis required.
- Ability to collect, manage and filter extensive amounts of information in real time
- Ability to develop quick and intuitive analysis
- Capacity to provide clear and well documented strategies
- Demonstrated networking capacity, including with national key stakeholders
- Ability and willingness to evolve in very fast paced environments and insecure contexts Strong synthesis and information dissemination skills
- Capacity to manage a multi-technical team.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Good knowledge in MS Office package: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power point, Microsoft Outlook. Good computer trouble shooting skills.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
SI will offer you
Salaried post: According to experience from 2000 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly, and a monthly Per Diem of 500 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 500 euros allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
During the assignment, the expatriate is entitled to R&R every three months: one week at three and nine months (with a 500 euro allowance) and two weeks at six months (with a plane ticket back home covered by Solidarités).
CONTACT: Anna FRANGI, Recruitment & Follow Up Officer
- Organization: Solidarités International
- Location: Kabul | Afghanistan
- Grade: Mid level
- Humanitarian Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-05-31