Social and Digital Media Consultant, Office of Innovation
The Office of Innovation seeks an experienced social and digital media manager who can play a lead role in managing UNICEF Office of Innovation’s global presence on a wide range of digital & social media platforms through content curation, monitoring, and analysis - and guiding colleagues on content creation techniques, and digital editorial practices.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Duration: 11.5 months (total number of working days: 241)
Duty Station: New York Headquarters
Level: Consultant Contract
UNICEF has been innovating for children for 70 years. Innovations support the organization's 135+ country offices in finding solutions for the world's most vulnerable children. The UNICEF innovation work includes both policy and practice of innovation in UNICEF, and the larger UN. Innovation in UNICEF is defined as "doing something new or different that adds value." Innovation is a cross-sectoral function that enhances programme and development effectiveness as well as management and is guided in all contexts by UNICEF's Innovation Principles (http://www.unicefstories.org/principles/). UNICEF is engaged in testing and scaling up new partnerships, technologies, and collaborations in some of the world's most difficult operating environments.
In January 2016, the UNICEF established the Office of Innovation to strengthen its innovation functions and leverage the increasing opportunities across the organization. The Office of Innovation unites:
- The Global Innovation Centre (GIC): established in 2014, and focusing on Scale Up which looks at expanding the application of proven solutions from one to several countries and regions by UNICEF and partners
- Ventures which looks at investing in new solutions with a 0-2-year horizon
- Futures: focusing on what is coming in the 2-5-year horizon and works with big tech partners
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Office of Innovation seeks an experienced social and digital media manager who can play a lead role in managing UNICEF Office of Innovation's global presence on a wide range of digital & social media platforms through content curation, monitoring, and analysis - and guiding colleagues on content creation techniques, and digital editorial practices. This candidate must be able to spearhead the creation, design, and coordination of key social media campaigns & event promotions while integrating new ways of generating online engagement and strengthening the brand. In addition, someone who is aware, and able to integrate the latest digital tools and trends and has an in-depth knowledge of paid, unpaid, and earned media, data analytics, SEO & email marketing. Channels the candidate will curate content for and manage include, but are not limited to:
- UNICEF Innovation blog
- UNICEF Innovation website
- UNICEF Innovation social media channels: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram (potentially others)
- UNICEF Innovation page on the UNICEF Global Intranet site
- UNICEF Innovation page on the UNICEF Global blog
- UNICEF Sharepoint
- UNICEF Weshare account
- UNICEF Office of Innovation's Mailchimp account
Ideally, the candidate should also have a good knowledge of UNICEF Office of Innovation's key messaging and focus areas in mHealth, Innovation Fund, Innovation Labs, mobile tech in developing countries, open source, data science, blockchain, AI, VR, UAS, satellites & imagery mapping, wearable technology, humanitarian & emergency response, and design thinking - to name a few.
We are looking for a self-starter who can work in a fast-changing environment, adaptive to change and has a proven experience in supporting multiple projects, focus areas, tasks and timelines. Someone who can work closely with a diverse, multidisciplinary and geographically dispersed team.
Thus, the role requires a candidate who has a diverse set of online marketing experience across various industries and has a multidisciplinary background - preferably, at the intersection of marketing, project management, graphic design, communication, business and entrepreneurship and others.
- Provide strategic digital and social media support for various parts of the Office of Innovation. This means working closely with Scale, Ventures, and Futures Innovation focal points and product leads to develop digital communication plans, recommendations, lead generation, and social media outputs on specific products/projects/services (Innovation Fund, Data Science, Upshift, U-Report, IOGT, Urbanization, Future of Money, to name a few).
- Spearhead the deployment of the "Story Card" project and pioneer global processes to better capture content generation, and documentation from country offices, colleagues, and partners during missions, field trips, events, and conferences.
- Be the gatekeeper - curate, maintain, and update online content published on Office of Innovation's digital websites & social media channels.
- Conduct social & digital media trainings while developing tools like a pitch deck, an online multimedia repository, tool kits- to equip global focal points, product leads, & colleagues with the knowledge and skills on how to create and engage in online conversations.
- Develop and engage in various non-monetary social media partnerships, influencer outreach programs, youth engagement contributors, and value exchange opportunities.
- Monthly payment, based on monthly tasks and progress reports, approved upon monthly review with supervisor.
- Consultant is responsible for his own health insurance
- Consultant is eligible for standard DSA for all work-related travel
- Consultants are responsible for assuming costs for obtaining visas and travel insurance
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in relevant field
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a relevant field. Preferably, in advertising, digital marketing , social media, account management, lead generation , data-driven campaigns, & email marketing.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED FOR THE ASSIGNMENT
- Experience managing multiple social and digital media platforms simultaneously with an integrated outcome
- Proven experience in blog, & website management and knowledge of best practices.
- Experience in implementing social media strategies & campaigns, globally for UN, UNICEF or with non-profit organizations and/or private sector companies is an asset
- Firm understanding on data analytics, tracking, and social media ROI metrics.
- Adept at using a wide range of social media platforms & management tools including Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Pinterest, Hootsuite, Later, Bitly, Buffer, IFTTT, Google Analytics, to name a few.
- Has a great eye for design (visual intelligence), someone who knows what multimedia assets (images, videos, colours, layout, format) will appeal to copy
- Firm understanding of best practices in user experience and design
- Ability to communicate complex topics in laymen terms using visual, audio or written language
- Proven copy editing skills
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Self-starter with the ability to work with a diverse team in a rapidly-changing work environment
- Proven record in adapting to unforeseen changes, and managing multiple priorities within specified timeframes independently
- Proficient level in graphic design is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with basic coding language
- Ability to quickly create reports/presentations in standard office software (Microsoft Office suite, Google docs, Keynote, etc)
- Prior experience working in/with start-ups, agencies and technology companies an asset
- Knowledge & familiarity with UNICEF Office of Innovation's work an asset
- Familiarity with open-source technology a plus
Fluency in English. Competence in another UN language preferred (where applicable).
Applications must include:
- Cover letter,
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Grade: International Consultant
- Social studies
- Closing Date: 2017-05-13