Chief Field Office, P-4, Jalalabad, Afghanistan
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Chief Field Operations, responsible for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the a range of programme/projects to ensure the protection and perseveration of the well being of children and mothers in national level programme of cooperation as in the country.
Key Expected Results
- Zonal Office programme management strengthened by effective knowledge management and system.
- Situation Analysis prepared/updated, critical programme intervention point/measures identified, program criticality exercise under taken, and programme work plans/recommendations prepared and incorporated. Programme reports prepared as required.
- Programme funds optimally used.
- Programme monitoring and evaluations effectively conducted to improve programme performance, and programme status report timely prepared.
- Rights based and results based programming approach fully incorporated into all phases of programme and projects processes.
- Commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners effectively gained and established.
- Rights perspective and advocacy at the national, community and family levels incorporated in policy analysis for establishing and elevating UNICEF’s credibility in national and international policy debates.
- Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme development/management/coordination/implementation, information sharing and networking
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. To represent UNICEF at Regional Office level in all matters related to UNICEF Programme planning and implementation.
2. Develop appropriate UNICEF project activities in collaboration with other UN agencies in line with UNDAF plus MTSP. Assess the potential for and establishment of a UNICEF presence in the areas visited and ensure that the planning of such assistance takes into account the view and needs of all segments of population.
3. Provide leadership, guidance and supervision to regional office staff including outpost staff, coordinate implementation and monitoring support for other UNICEF programmes in areas of child survival, development and protection. Determine supply routes and storage and warehouse needs.
4. Support the collection and analysis of basic statistics and information relating to children and their environment in the area and develop a data base for monitoring and planning purposes.
5. Contribute towards the preparation of the situation analysis for programme development and ensure periodic update by monitoring and analysing the social, political and economic trends in Afghanistan as they affect women and children. Compile data and write relevant reports.
6. Prepare programme documentation for Country Programme Action Plan (CPAP) in scope of UNDAF and MTSP and related documents such as Plan of Operations, Project Plan of Action, ensuring consistency with objectives and goals.
7. Review and evaluate the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of programmes/projects in collaboration with government and other partners. Undertake field visits and surveys to monitor and evaluate implementation, identify problems and propose remedial actions. Identify or decide on alternative course of action to accelerate/improve programme delivery and ensure capacity building and programme sustainability. Coordinate establishing an effective partnership with potential partners in order for improving access and effective implementation of UNICEF supported programs in the region. Develop a good network and establish a comprehensive regional database for the partners including NGOs; Develop standby agreement with potential partners for implementation and monitoring of programs in inaccessible areas.
8. Coordinate with Operations/Supply Section of the Country Office on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF responsibility. Scrutinise and approve disbursement of funds related to programme operations expenditure. Monitor financial status and reports ensuring activities are within agreed upon objective and programme budget allotment.
9. Ensure the cost effective, appropriate and sound utilisation, protection and accounting of all organisational resources. i.e. financial, human, administrative fixed assets, as well as programme supplies, equipment and cash assistance.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in conflict resolution.
*First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
2. Work Experience
- Eight years of relevant professional work experience.
- Developing country work experience (for IP) or field work experience (for NO) Background/familiarity with Emergency.
Fluency in English is required and another UN language is desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Result [ II ]
3. Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising [ II ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ II ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
- Creating and Innovating [ II ]
To view our competency framework, please click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Jalalabad is a non-family duty station.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Jalalabad
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-05-22