Long Term Arrangement (LTA) for Translators
Long Term Arrangement (LTA) for Translators
TITLE OF CONSULTANCY: Long Term Arrangement (LTA) for Translators
DURATION OF LTA: 2 Years with the possibility of extension for 1 more year
CLOSING DATE: 22nd May 2017
UNICEF works towards realization of the rights of children as prescribed in the Convention of the Rights of the Children. These rights pertain to child survival, protection, development and participation.
In its efforts to achieve its goals, various sections of UNICEF apply different strategies and intervene at different levels. With these interventions, there have been significant achievements and different lessons learnt. UNICEF has been using five strategies of (1) capacity development; (2) decentralization and improved governance; (3) partnerships; (4) social inclusion for equity; and (5) knowledge management to enhance results for children. UNICEF realizes 'Knowledge management' as a key strategy to identify and document, processes, impact, issues, key insights, experience etc.
There is an ongoing requirement for production of communication, advocacy and visibility materials that documents key children's issues and ongoing responses in the field through high quality content packages, to support UNICEF's and the Government of India's communication, advocacy and visibility efforts with legislatures, policy makers, media, donors, partners and the public at large.
These high quality content packages includes design packages, advocacy toolkits, photo packages, human interest stories, animation films and short films that document UNICEF related initiatives. These high quality content packages will be disseminated through different channels including website, social media platforms external media networks, partner networks and donor reports.
As part of the requirement, UNICEF would like to engage the services of translators who will be available at short notice to undertake assignments of translating UNICEF communication, advocacy and visibility materials in English, Hindi and important regional Indian languages.
The overall objective to set up Long Term Arrangement to facilitate and expedite the process by which UNICEF in India will hire the services of translators.
3. MAJOR TASKS:
• Under the guidance of the Communications team and supervision of direct Specialists, the translator provides high quality translations of press releases, booklets, human interest stories, reports, papers, subtitles/scripts and other materials
• Translations are done keeping in mind culture, gender and other diverse sensitivities as per UNICEF guidelines.
• Expected to complete a comprehensive translation of the material provided ensuring clarity and correctness while taking into account the sensitivity of alternative care jargon and respecting the intentions of the writers and experts.
• Expected to verify that in the case of longer documents each chapter or section reads well by establishing flowing tones, cohesion and proper structure and to deliver a final product in a timely manner and of publishable quality.
• Present at the briefing on specific projects and issues to be covered based on national and state priorities where required.
• Demonstrates a client-oriented approach, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Ensures effective and efficient provision of services, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
4. KEY DELIVERABLES
At the end of each assignment, the consultant will deliver high quality translations of documents in English, Hindi and/or important regional language/s within the given time ensuring clarity and correctness.
Advocacy and Communication Specialist/Officer and Programme Officers, as relevant to different assignments.
6. PAYMENT TERMS
• Payment is linked to receipt and satisfactory acceptance of deliverables.
• Travel expenses will be reimbursed at actuals based on receipt of invoices/reports.
• Per Diem will be reimbursed at UNICEF consultant rates.
7. QUALIFICATION, SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• Excellent English, Hindi and/or Urdu and/or other languages (to be confirmed on case to case basis) translation skills and certification as a translator
• Ability to work on demand, multi-task and deliver ahead of tight deadline.
• At least a bachelor's degree in the source language and excellent command / writing skills in the target language with capacity to provide final typed material in requisite font that can be universally accessed.
• At least five years' experience, and expertise, in the relevant languages especially for translation of technical documents
• Degree in communications, arts, media or any relevant field is an asset.
Please submit your online application by 22nd May 2017
HOW TO APPLY: Your online application should contain three separate attachments:
i. A Cover letter explaining the motivation for applying and also explaining how the qualifications and skill-set of the candidate are suitable for this position (to be uploaded online)
ii. Curriculum Vitae (CV) (to be uploaded online)
iii. Work Samples – You can either share a file with the links to your work samples or you can upload the documents (to be uploaded under other supporting documents).
It is critical to submit work samples as you will observe from the advertisement that marks have been assigned to this criteria for arriving at the most suitable candidate
iv. A financial proposal indicating professional fee as per template attached below. Please do not forget to specify your name in the file while saving. (To be uploaded under other supporting documents).
Without the financial proposal template your application will be considered incomplete
The selection will be on the basis of technical evaluation & financial offer in the ratio of 80:20. The criteria for technical evaluation will be as follows:
1. Cover Letter – Explaining the motivation for applying and also explaining how the qualifications and skill-set of the candidate are suitable for this position (3 Min Marks/ 5 Max Marks)
2. Relevant educational qualifications of the candidate (7 Min/ 10 Max)
3. Relevant work experience (7 Min/10Max)
4. Work Samples– This includes three previously translated documents and original versions of these documents. (11 Min/ 15 Max)
Candidates will be shortlisted for the written test on the basis of the review of sub-criteria 1, 2, 3 and 4 as listed above. Candidates who score overall 28 marks and above against criteria (1 through 4) as well as meet the minimum cut-off in each of the above 4 sub-criteria will be shortlisted for the written test.
5. A translation test will be administered with shortlisted candidates (28 Min/ 40 Max)
Total technical score – 80. Minimum overall qualifying score is 56. Only those candidates who meet the overall qualifying marks of 56 as well as score the minimum cut-off in each of the above sub-criteria including the interview will be considered technically responsive and their financials will be opened.
• Any attempt to unduly influence UNICEF's selection process will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
• Joint applications of two or more individuals are not accepted.
• Please note, UNICEF does not charge any fee during any stage of the process.
For any clarifications, please contact:
Supply & Procurement Section
73, Lodi Estate, New Delhi 110003
Telephone # +91-11-24606216/262(Direct)
Fax # +91-11-24391410; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2017-05-22