National Coordinator - Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Management
Nairobi | Kenya
National Coordinator – Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Management
Purpose of the Position:
This position is responsible for coordinating and managing all Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster Management (DRR & DM) initiatives of World Vision Kenya by ensuring that the office promotes disaster risk reduction, builds community resilience, initiates early recovery and facilitates the entrenchment of disaster mitigation in WVK programming. The position ensures that policies and procedures are adhered to, in accordance with World Vision International DRR and DM protocols and standards as well as other internationally accepted humanitarian standards; the intended outcome being enhanced effectiveness in emergency response, early recovery and disaster mitigation.
Coordination of Disaster Risk Reduction and Disaster management
· Lead the successful development, elaboration and roll out of DRR/DM elements in the National Office and ADP strategic and operational plans that focus specifically on community wellbeing;
· Coordinate disaster mitigation and early recovery as per the national strategy.
· Participate in strategic organization meetings, NO strategic planning and co-chair the Integrated Disaster management Committee ( IDMC) meetings
· Provide technical support to WVK staff (and community) in mainstreaming of DRR within development programmes
· Ensure accountability and institutionalization of DRR/M in WVK through the use of disaster risk management and resilience programming tools.
· Lead establishment of DRR/DM programming guidelines and business processes to ensure that program interventions in DRR and DM achieve or surpass relevant WV child well-being objectives;
· Lead the IDMC to develop and review the national disaster Preparedness plan
· As part of the context monitoring group (CMG), provide monthly updates to the SMT to inform programming decisions.
· Coordinate DRR & DM grants at National level.
· In collaboration with the Program Development and Grants Acquisition team, Contribute towards the development of highly competitive humanitarian-related grant acquisition concept notes and proposals.
· Provide technical support to the development of Private Non Sponsorship funded Concepts/Proposals and support staff to successfully meet or exceed established yearly resource acquisition targets
· Develop special project proposals focused on staff capacity building on disaster risk management and preparedness, working with other ministry lines on the integration of DRR and resilience in development programming.
Engagement/Coordination/Collaboration & Networking
· Conduct effective engagement especially with the humanitarian donor community, namely: United Nations ( UNICEF, WFP, UNHCR, OCHA, IOM, HABITAT, FAO) and with other main emergency donors (OFDA, AUSAID, DFID, ECHO and ensure that adequate agreements are made and adhered to between WVK and such partners
· Ensure high profile representation of WVK in National and International forums on DRR/DM.
· Establish and maintain effective networks with other NGOs, GoK and other authorities and partners
· Represent World Vision at various national humanitarian platforms such as UN agencies meetings, GoK, NGOs, Cluster working groups and among others;
· Successfully engage with key internal and external stakeholders, including WVK entities (Finance, Supply Chain), PAS (People and Culture, Administration and Security as well as Support Office, Global Centre, national and international research entities, church and other civil society representatives.
· Facilitate establishment of key partnership and MoUs for DRR & DM
DRR Programming, Preparedness & Early Actions
· Facilitate Area Programmes to develop quality DRR/M mitigation and response projects through conceptualization, innovation, development and planning of program goals and objectives;
· Conduct projects and programmes early action based on robust early warning systems.
· Coordinate planning & budgeting for disaster preparation costs as appropriate to the context (NFI, food, NEPRF levels) etc. stocks)
· Ensure projects and programmes include disaster risk assessments and actions based on their context.
· In conjunction with Regional Managers, ensure the successful implementation of DRR and DM projects across the country.
· Support the successful implementation of National Office Disaster Management Score card.
· Work with the NDMT (National Disaster Management Team) to ensure that staff re aware of core humanitarian standards (people in aid, sphere, WV standards etc.)
· Lead the process of updating the unit risk register.
· Work with security department / focal point to assure incidents are logged and timely managed.
· Ensure project and programme staff have relevant required training for their risk level context.
· Work with security to ensure policies and guidelines are in place and used to manage security risks in different locations.
· Work with Regional Managers to ensure that projects and programmes budget effectively for core security requirements.
Emergency Response, Recovery & Rehabilitation
· Monitor the country’s humanitarian landscape and ensure emerging risks are analyzed and developing crises are promptly declared leading to timely life-saving and livelihoods protection responses.
· Following confirmation of early warning alerts, work with the IDMC to develop appropriate disaster preparedness plans.
· Support ADPs to use EW information and implement timely early actions especially for slow onset emergencies.
· Ensure WVK development and emergency recovery interventions are designed and developed in alignment with a fully integrated three track ministry approach and also in compliance with WV, GOK, Donor and Partnership Standards, including monitoring and evaluation plans;
· Ensure quality, focus and feasibility in the development, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of WVK interventions in integrated community resilience and disaster mitigation and management - through interpretation and utilization of assessment , baselines and evaluations, including facilitation of log frames development
· Ensure baseline data are in Project Designs and referenced when reporting by contributing to plans, developing measuring tools, assisting in recruitment of consultants, data analysis and interpretation, and utilization of findings;
· Develop /review of DRR, DM and Environmental and Climate Change related policy documents
· Project and programme level crisis management teams are trained and aware of their roles
· Contribute to crisis management teams for identified incidents (political disturbance, social unrest etc.)
· Contribute to policy reviews and their orientation to staff working in challenging contexts
· Assist the NO Livelihood and Resilience Team to be in the forefront of new themes and thinking as regards Disaster Risk Management practices and strategies
· Facilitate capacity Assessment for staff in regard to DRR and DM
· Ensure that Community Vulnerability and Capacity assessment and corresponding Community Disaster Management Plans are effectively implemented
· Lead on capacity development for staff and community on identified gaps on DRR & DM
· Train ADPs through ROs to effectively contribute to Early Warning & Early Action processes and in institutionalizing EWS in WVK and the Partnership
· Develop and manage plans that support staff capacity building in management of relief operations
· Conduct staff trainings on international and WV humanitarian standards including accountability, Sphere, Humanitarian protection and disaster management standards.
Documentation, Monitoring & Reporting
· Develop/review and disseminate standardized DRR/M monitoring tools for use by ADPs, analyzing and synthesizing s information, providing feedback to field staff and using the monitoring data for decision making at the National level;
· Facilitate the design, management and implementation of research and development projects on DR Mitigation, Preparedness, Adaptation and response
· Support the consolidation of a learning culture - based upon evidence based best practices and industry standards - to enable program staff to achieve and/or surpass established targets and standards;
· Document and share best practices and models of DRR and DM
· Monitor and strengthen adherence to both internal and international Disaster Management Standards during emergency responses
· Ensure timely reporting for all disaster management operations
· Support humanitarian learning/ reflection events and monitor and support the implementation of resultant plans of action.
· Support the identification, documentation and dissemination of promising humanitarian practices within the organization
· Support the implementation of regional Disaster Management initiatives as per the HEA LC
· Support mechanisms for gathering, analyzing and communicating lessons-learned and ongoing documentation of best practice and innovation to NO and the Partnership.
· Gather data, develop and share on-time quality NO level DRR/M reports (MMR, Semi-Annual, Annual and CWB Annual Reports);
· Continuous review of DRR/DM Programming for informing strategic decisions
· Work closely with the Communication Department in the production of high quality and professional DRR updates for submission to donors and for marketing purposes
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, however a Master’s degree will be an added advantage
Requires at least 5 years work experience in implementing disaster risk reduction & resilience and disaster management programming and hands on operations.
Experience in dealing with government of Kenya, donor and UN agencies is essential.
Must be conversant with internationally accepted humanitarian relief standards, disaster management cycle and concept.
Working knowledge of humanitarian codes, standards, principals, and ability to mainstream leading cross-cutting themes.
Empirical knowledge of emergency response and DM&E processes and methodologies, including database development and management.
Proven track record for multi-sector program design and implementation in large and complex emergencies.
° Work environment: Office based with frequent travel to the field
° Travel Required: Up to 40% domestic and International travel
° On call: As required
For more information on the job and application procedure, please visit: http://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-africa and submit your online application including a detailed CV with names of three referees. Application deadline is May 19, 2017 at midnight. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted**.**
- Organization: World Vision
- Location: Nairobi | Kenya
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Security policy
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Conflict prevention
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Closing Date: 2017-05-19