Chief of Party/Project Director
Plan International seeks a dynamic leader and project strategist to fill the role of Chief of Party (COP) for USAID’s anticipated Communities Building Peace Together Activity in Guatemala, a cooperative agreement with an expected budget of approximately $30 million over five years.
The project will work to reduce social conflict and violence and improve social cohesion in Guatemala’s Western Highlands Region. The project seeks to bring together diverse sector sand stakeholders within communities in the Western Highlands to identify and address the main drivers of social conflict at the familial, community, and municipal level.
The COP will lead and oversee all aspects of this high-profile project, including directing strategic planning and decision making, providing technical guidance, managing the activities of sub-recipients, and supervising staff. Serving as the key liaison with USAID, the Government of Guatemala, implementing partners, and other stakeholders, the COP will also establish and maintain an integrated vision among different actors while ensuring adherence to all project objectives, performance requirements, and donor regulations.
Consideration for this pivotal role will be given to conflict/governance professionals with 1) a clear understanding of community-based development in Guatemala or a similar social context; 2) experience in USAID project management and administration policies, procedures, and reporting requirements; and 3) the ability to meet rigorous timelines, track results, effectively manage staff and multi-stakeholder relationships, and influence decision-making at the local and national level to create positive change.
- Provide overall technical and managerial oversight and leadership for the project.
- Ensure efficient management of financial resources, including the review and approval of program budgets and monitoring expenditures.
- Supervise field operations, project administration, logistics and procurement.
- Oversee the delivery and monitoring of sub-grants.
- Supervise program monitoring, evaluation, and reporting and ensure quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required by the grant and donors.
- Ensure full compliance with all USAID, Plan, and other fiduciary regulations.
- Serve as the principal liaison with the Government of Guatemala; USAID and other donors; and project partners and stakeholders to ensure effective program implementation and build lasting relationships.
- Possess at least a master’s degree in International Development or a related field; a Ph.D. or DrPH is highly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of community-based development and conflict mitigation in Guatemala. Previous experience working in the Western Highlands Region preferred.
- Significant experience managing large-scale, multi-year US government-funded programs, with a strong track record of successfully managing USAID-funded programs Demonstrated knowledge of USAID project management, including USAID rules, regulations, and reporting requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender and proficiency in managing development projects that mainstream gender.
- Demonstrated ability to implement projects with rigorous timelines and deliverables and to track program quality through donor-approved monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Ability to work under pressure, as part of a team or independently, and meet deadlines consistently.
- Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders, such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, and local and international staff.
- Ability to respond to requests on short notice and simultaneously plan and execute several activities.
- Proven experience hiring, training, and supervising teams of international and local staff.
- Proven leadership, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills, with the ability to build and motivate diverse teams.
- Excellent command of English and Spanish with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Organization: Plan International
- Location: Guatemala City
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Operations and Administrations
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-05-19