Operations Officer, NOB, Baidoa, Somalia (Fixed Term - Somali Nationals Only)
The Operations Officer will support the Operations Manager in the management of operational functions (i.e. personnel, administration, supply & EDP to support of the Baidoa zonal office programme which mainly includes rehabilitating Baidoa Office to develop as a humanitarian hub and strengthen guesthouse management; streamlining processing of PPE and PSB decisions; strengthening management of MOU for common services and leases; and ensuring that each UNICEF office and Guesthouse is MOSS and MORSS compliant.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does, in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism.
For Every Child; Hope
How can you make a difference?
The Operations Officer will support the Operations Manager in the management of operational functions (i.e. personnel, administration, supply & EDP to support Baidoa zonal office programme which mainly includes; rehabilitating Baidoa Office to develop as a humanitarian hub and strengthen guesthouse management; streamlining processing of PPE and PSB decisions; strengthening management of MOU for common services and leases; and ensuring that each UNICEF office and Guesthouse is MOSS and MORSS compliant.
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Is responsible for human resources, administration, supply, Information Communication Technology.
- Supervises a group of support and operations staff to manage and deliver operational support for programme management and administration.
- Identifies and proposes appropriate office, warehouse and IPO staff accommodations. Ensures appropriate maintenance and security of premises, staff, equipment and supplies in line with MOSS requirements.
- Advises and recommends to the Operations Manager, Mogadishu & Project Officers Baidoa, USSC in Nairobi and HQ when deviation from the rules and regulations may be required, and proposes alternative solutions to meet office objectives.
- Monitors compliance with all operational systems and procedures. Establishes relevant internal controls. Ensures accuracy, promptness and appropriateness of information, and reports to the Head of Office, USSC and HQs.
- Participates in the zonal programme strategy, development, planning and preview/review meetings, to identify staffing and administrative operational requirements.
- Arranges operational facilities and basic cooperation agreements with local authorities, (e.g. customs, visas, protocol, receipt of contributions, security, accommodation, privileges and immunities.).
Ensures the acquisition of all expendable and non-expendable property (administrative and/or programme supplies), ensuring that procurement is made according to the organization's rules, regulations and procedures.
Controls inventory, its utilization and disposal.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have:
- University degree in Business Administration, Management or a related field.
- Two (2) years of professional experience in Finance, Human Resources management and Office Administration, some of which at the international level.
- Fluency in English and Somalia Languages required.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate..
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Baidoa
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Junior level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-05-23