TERMS OF REFERENCE
Job Title: WASH Officer (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Sector)
Location: Amran, Yemen
Contract: Standard, full time position
Duration: 7 months (renewable)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. Using a right-based approaches, DRC has mainly focused on refugees, migrants and internally displaced People by conflict and natural disasters. Programs include WASH, protection, Food security/livelihoods and mine risks education, amongst others. DRC has hub offices in Sana’a, Aden, Hodeida and several sub-offices throughout Yemen. In response to the humanitarian needs and the resulting increase of conflict affected population in Yemen, DRC is seeking qualified WASH Officer with a public health or water engineering background to facilitate and coordinate WASH interventions throughout one-year project in Amran, Hajja and Abyan Governorates. DRC will implement community wells improvement, water trucking, construction and rehabilitation works for water and sanitation infrastructure in number of schools and health clinics, support community water management committees (CWMCs), water quality testing and treatment, hygiene promotion and WASH supplies distribution.
The WASHOfficer will work to ensure that water, sanitation and hygiene project are implemented effectively, professionally, and in accordance with the culture and practices of the local population. The WASH Officer will report to the WASH Sector Manager. This position is based in Amran governorate and entail some travel to the field.
- WASH Programming:
- Provide technical and professional support to WASH field team and Community health Volunteers on water, sanitation and hygiene matters.
- Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective WASH program design, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation at district and governorate levels.
- Support governorate and district levels’ stakeholders for planning, orientation, training and other relevant activities on WASH issues.
- Coordinate with WASH Sector Manager and WASH Coordinator for technical advice, integration of WASH and nutrition components with other thematic interventions during planning, designing and implementation.
- Support to form/reactivate and capacitate the CWMCs and school’s WASH clubs.
- Support to organize the various community level sanitation and hygiene campaign as well as manage all WASH supplies and the IEC materials for distribution.
- Support to design and conduct the district, school and health clinics level water, sanitation and hygiene related events.
- Support to organize WASH related training, orientation, workshop at the district level.
- Facilitate to disseminate the WASH related messaging from the district and up to the ward level at different group existing in the community (For example: CWMCs, school’s WASH clubs, community leaders etc.).
- Coordinate and organize the process of review and joint monitoring of WASH project with government counterparts and relevant stakeholders for review and monitoring of WASH project to ensure achievement of objectives and attainment of high quality interventions. Recommend corrective actions when necessary to meet the objectives.
- Facilitate the process of capturing, documenting and disseminating project experiences, achievements, good practice as lesson learnt, case studies and progress reports related to WASH to concerned stakeholders.
- Coordinate and engage with key WASH partners (especially GARWSP) and other stakeholders and ensure their participation at different stages of project implementation as required.
- Facilitate partnership and supervise DRC WASH local partners at Amran level or the surround governorates, in order to improve their abilities to implement WASH interventions/partnership in smoothly way.
- Work as a WASH team member and maintain smooth coordination and communication with other projects’ staff members.
- Ensure gender equity and social inclusion in all aspects of WASH interventions.
- Contributing to the preparation of internal and external reports including regularly reports, expenditure reports and projection plan.
- Accomplish the other necessary activities related to the office and program and tasks assigned by the Supervisor.
- Representing the WASH Sector at Amran Governorate’s level.
- Collaborating and coordinating with the government, NGOs, and UN agencies on WASH issues at district and governorate’s level with his/her supervisor.
- Participating in district and governorates’ level WASH meetings and other relevant humanitarian/recovery coordination meetings.
- Ensuring that all relevant stakeholders have information about the WASH project, objectives, working areas, duration of programs and activities in the field.
- Promoting and reinforcing relationships with district/governorate technical authorities.
- Ensuring correct MOUs are in place with relevant district/governorate stakeholders.
Skills, Competencies and Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor Degree in public health, water/environmental Engineering or a related field.
- At least 2-year experience in water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Previous experience with community facilitation project.
- Solid understanding of administrative procedures.
- Strong working knowledge of written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Ability to use Microsoft office programming, Outlook and internet websites.
- Self-motivated, Enthusiastic, Desire to learn.
- Aptitude for community mobilization and engagement.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Willing to support others and share workloads.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Ability to adapt communication strategies for different situations.
- Strong communication, particularly verbal
- Ability to translate between spoken Arabic and English.
- Able to take initiative, encourage others, and working within hostile environments and deal with conflict.
- Problem solver and positive attitude, Motivator, Ability to plan and follow activities through.
- INGO experience preferred.
- Preference for Amran citizens.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Amman
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-05-24