Migration and Displacement specialists - Stand-by Consultants
Migration and Displacement specialists
Agency: Danish Refugee Council.
Department/Unit: Global Mixed Migration Secretariat (DRC/GMMS)
Position: Stand-by consultant: mixed migration experts, researchers, writers.
Some Immediate vacancies for writing and research consultancies.
Start date: Immediate (for some assignments) / Stand-by.
Thematic focus: Mixed migration; irregular migration; migrant smuggling; human trafficking;
displacement; refugees; migration & development; labour migration.
Geographical focus: Global; particular focus on East Africa & Yemen, West Africa, South (East) Asia;
Middle East and North Africa and Europe.
- The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international NGO operating in over 30 countries with special focus on providing humanitarian protection-centred responses to displacement globally.
- Recognizing the importance of the displacement and mobility with people moving in mixed flows, DRC has in recent years developed specialist units to monitor and analyse and offer policy development concerning mixed migration of migrants and refugees.
- Through its newly formed Geneva-based Global Mixed Migration Secretariat (GMMS) and the network of Regional Mixed Migration Secretariats (RMMSs) it offers special focus on mixed migration issues through research and analysis whilst also collecting primary data with its 4Mi project (Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism initiative).
- Mixed migration research, writing and analysis is expanding in volume and scope so to meet the current and future needs DRC/GMMS intends to have a limited roster of pre-interviewed specialist consultants it can call upon as assignments and project arise. DRC/GMMS is therefore calling migration and displacement analysts to make contact with GMMS with their details, CV’s and expressions of interest (1 page letter) to be listed as potential consultants. If selected, you will be contacted as and when research opportunities arise with the GMMS or regional RMMS hubs.
- Apart from future potential work there are some upcoming and immediate needs for consultants to compile RMMS Briefing Papers and conduct full research assignments. Concrete upcoming assignments for which applicants may be considered include:
- Drafting an RMMS Briefing Paper on protection issues facing migrants and refugees leaving the Horn of Africa, based on a dataset of over 3,500 migrant interviews and secondary research;
- Drafting an RMMS Briefing Paper on migrant smuggling within and from the Horn of Africa, based on 200 interviews with smugglers, in-country research on smuggling and secondary research;
- Research on children and youth on the move in South East Asia.
- Assignments may involve primary and secondary research and may be desk based or / and involve travel.
- University degrees in social sciences or humanities (BA and Masters)
- Qualifications in migration or refugee issues not essential but advantageous.
- Previously worked in fields related to (mixed) migration, displacement, and refugees.
- At least 5 years of research and analysis experience.
- Proven track record of excellent writing abilities (in English). Previous publications on migration issues.
- Strong ability to investigate issues objectively presenting all sides.
Interested? Go to www.drc.ngo and find Current Vacancies. Find the job on the list and apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions, or encounter problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more details on this position please contact: Chris Horwood at email@example.com
Applications close date: Friday, 23 June 2017.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Remote
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Security policy
- Closing Date: 2017-06-23