Planning Specialist, P-4, Damascus Syria
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the general guidance of the Deputy Representative, responsible for programme planning function of a large size country programme of US$140 million annual throughput.
Key Expected Results
- Coordinates the preparation of programme planning documents, including emergency response plans, Annual Work Plans, contingency plans, and other as needed. Participates in multi-sectoral planning processes, such as SHARP. Participates in the development of programme/project goals and objectives and planning the implementation of programme/project strategies.
- Supports sections and field offices to utilize strategic information from studies, surveys, evaluations and data to develop programme results, programme/project strategies and implementation and reporting frameworks that are equity and gender equality focused.
- Facilitates periodic internal and external programme reviews with implementing partners and other partners. Identifies problems or alternative courses of action to accelerate/ improve programme delivery.
- Supports the implementation of sub-national plans and supports field offices in related advocacy, planning, monitoring and reporting. Undertakes programme and budget reviews and maintains oversight for effective utilization of programme budget.
- In collaboration with sections and field offices, identifies training needs for the purpose of capacity building of staff and counterparts in human rights, gender equality, and results based planning and community engagement and mobilization to ensure sustainability of programmes
- Undertakes visits to counterparts and field offices to identify and manage risks in programme planning and implementation. Participates in field visits to monitor programme implementation.
- Contributes to quality and timely corporate reporting requirements, including Sitreps, donor reports and annual reports. Ensures that programme results are adequately and accurately reflected in such reports
- Supports sections and field offices to map partners in technical areas and support in quality assurance of concept notes and programme documents for finalizing partnership agreements
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in Social Sciences or other related field
2. Work Experience
Eight years of relevant work experience at the national and international levels in social development, management, monitoring and evaluation
Fluency in English is required. Another UN language is desirable. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [II]
- Drive for Result [II]
- Working With People [II]
3. Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising [I]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Analyzing [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Planning and Organizing [III]
To view our competency framework, please click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Damascus is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Damascus
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-05-26