VN 2017/114 (P) - Programme Officer (Migration & Development) (P3) - Niamey, Niger
Position Title Programme Officer (Migration and Development) Duty Station : Niamey, Niger
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 May 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of
Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (MRRM), the successful candidate will be responsible for the daily overseeing of Migration & Development activities implemented by IOM in Niger and overall technical support to the Government of Niger (GoN) on Migration governance. These programs include the implementation of reintegration activities for returning migrants, integration/reintegration of former smugglers and other community stabilization initiatives (livelihood initiatives community infrastructure projects, etc.) which support the stabilization process. Moreover, s/he will be in charge of the development of the migration & development portfolio, reinforcing synergic action between IOM Niger, and relevant government departments in Niger and in Countries of Origin.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• Plan, develop and supervise the daily implementation of integration and reintegration initiatives in Niger and targeted countries of origin.
• Contribute to the development of projects strategies and implementation modalities through Page 1 / 4close collaboration with the donors, the Government of Niger representatives at national and local levels, beneficiary communities, and other relevant humanitarian and development stakeholders.
• Contribute to the development of projects strategies and implementation modalities through close collaboration with the donors, the Government of Niger representatives at national and local levels, beneficiary communities, and other relevant humanitarian and development stakeholders.
• Supervise the administrative, financial, and other related activities of the section, including: o Maintaining appropriate internal controls and development and implementation of relevant control systems;
o Exercising oversight on financial expenditure and accountability.
• Provide technical guidance and oversight of compliance to project partners, technical advisers, procurement unit, programme staff and implementing entities.
• Liaise, promote and coordinate interagency collaboration and operational partnership in the sub-offices’ areas of work. Ensure appropriate coordination with all humanitarian partners (including UN agencies, national and international NGOs, the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement and other international organizations), as well as with provincial authorities and local community groups.
• Coordinate activities with other IOM units – Finance, Logistics & Procurement, HR, IT, among others.
• Coach, support and oversee the performance of the administrative and technical staff assigned to the project.
• Ensure proper documentation and reporting of the projects carried out in Community Stabilization Initiatives Section, including that all supportive documents for the projects are recorded in the database and maintain regular consultation with the donor. • Promote coordination of national staff with other departments and programs to create synergies and better facilitation of overall IOM programming through joint implementation. • Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children, and other vulnerable groups in the project are considered in the office’s activities.
• Utilize lessons learned from past activities, experiences from other Communes, and beneficiary feedback to revise strategies and action plans accordingly;
• Implement a sound Monitoring and Evaluation System, report on field activities within IOM, and prepare documentation for donor reporting/visibility tools.
• Monitor the work’s implementation especially in organizing the daily supervision of contractors and Implementing Partners including site reports.
• Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts, identifying potential new project opportunities and contributing to the preparation of project proposal.
• Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Page 2 / 4• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in migration governance, integration and reintegration, community development, land job creation related activities in a developing country;
• Specific professional experience in West Africa on reintegration or local development required; • Experience in programme management, preferably in AVRR and start-up development; • Experience in project formulation and implementation at national and international levels; • Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, and with other national and international institutions;
• Familiarity with the region is an asset.
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Page 3 / 4How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 May 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 15.05.2017 to 28.05.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/114 (P) - Programme Officer (Migration&Development) (P3) - Niamey, Niger (55061647) Released
Posting: Posting NC55061657 (55061657) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Niamey
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-05-28