Education Team Leader "Nationals Only" - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
NRC- Jordan Education Strategy:
The NRC Jordan education programme will work on issues of access and quality in order to exact change and provide services to refugee girls and boys and host community boys and girls. At the access level NRC will provide additional teaching and learning spaces and classrooms, (with accompanying extended WASH facilities), at both camp and host community level. At the quality level NRC will work to ensure that children in NRC run learning centres, the camp schools into which they transition and the host community schools and learning centres that they can attend enjoy better quality and more tailored services and provide a protective environment. This will be achieved by augmenting existing services and expanding their targets and remits as well as ensuring teaching standards are raised and that the community is involved in and supportive of children’s education. This will include phases of community outreach, using community mobilizers to engage parents and to help them support their children’s education. In camps this will include the expansion of ‘walking routes’ or other community-based initiatives to support children safely accessing learning sites.
- Provides direction, assigns tasks and gives instructions to staff, specifies their individual work plans and evaluates individual team members performance.
- Supports assigned staff in their professional development, identifies training needs, supports staff to achieve the objectives defined in their learning development plans.
- Monitors the progress of the team activities and ensures they are implemented conform planning, quality standards, budget and (donor ) guidelines.
- Develops with the assigned team, Quarterly activity plans.
- Ensures compliance with NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Ensure that projects activities target the needs of beneficiaries, explores and asses new and better ways to meet their needs.
- Represent NRC, liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and/or stakeholders.
- Overall supervision of implementation staff and direct line management as stipulated by organogram
- Overall responsibility for all site level activities
- Implement policy and implementation synergies with other CCs and agencies at site level
- Develop monthly activity and work plan in site and prepare monthly reports on site activities
- Represent at camp level working groups as delegated by PC, and act as focal point for site visits and represent with external/internal visitors to site, donors, and partners
- Identify capacity building needs of staff through HR processes and act as a focal point for staff capacity building of staff at site
- Inform programme development (focus on needs and opportunities) at site level, with strong basis in M&E
- Supervise budget lines for site (according to signing authority), and delegates tasks for procurement and stock management
- Ensure proper documentation and information security of all activities including teachers’ time sheets, contracts, student records, referral records.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate, with a minimum of 3 years previous experience in Education or any relevant field. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in the Middle East. Technical expertise relevant to the role. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Very good level of English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: Through 31st December, 2017
Salary/benefits: 1347 JD subject to social security
Duty station: Zaatari
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: Please enter your specific city of residency in Jordan in your application.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Zataari
- Grade: Level not specified
- Emergency Aid
- Education and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-05-23