Local Consultant: Child Protection Monitoring and Reporting Mechanism Verification
UNICEF, through its Child Protection Section, currently provides staff support to fulfil the requirements of the MRM. Given that the UN Security Council Working Group on Children Affected by Armed Conflict and the MRM Guidelines require physical verification of grave child rights violations, UNICEF engaged the services of MRM verification team since April 2010. It is important to note that the tandem of an international and a national consultant/staff member is alongside the principle of aiming for political balance in the verification of grave child rights violations. While the national verification consultant would provide the socio-cultural analysis of the cases examined for the MRM, the international staff would ensure the adherence to impartiality in the review of the cases of grave child rights violations.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
- Technical review and field verification of 2017-2018 cases of grave child rights violations.
- Prepare individual case files of verified grave child rights violations and update MRM database.
- Monitor development and facilitate referral of verified cases to appropriate agencies for response on grave child rights violations.
- Assist in building the national MRM technical and human resource capacity.
- Provide analytical and statistical support for the preparation of MRM reports.
- Updated individual documentation/ case files of grave child rights violations including actions taken (follow-up, referral, advocacy, etc.) on 2017-2018 cases of grave child rights violations.
- Monthly assessment on the data gaps of past and current cases of grave child rights violations, as well as the progress regarding the capacity-building of national partners on MRM.
- Quality inputs for the quarterly Global Horizontal Notes (GHN) for 2Q-4Q 2017, Q1 – 2018, and 2017 SG Annual Report on Children and Armed Conflict.
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Consultant
- University degree in psychology, social work, or social science or other fields related to social development and humanitarian work.
- At least 120 hours of relevant training on child rights and child protection.
- Understanding of Philippine socio-political context, Child Protection system in the Philippines, knowledge of human and child rights would be essential.
- Experience in conducting field research and advanced skills in the documentation of human rights violations would be an advantage.
- Willing to travel in remote and conflict-affected areas.
- Fluent in English and knowledge of Filipino languages an asset.
- High level of writing and communication and computer skills.
- Dynamic, independent, self-motivated and well organized.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are requested to complete an online candidate profile in http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/ by 22 May 2017. Only applications sent through the e-recruitment portal under Job Number: 504692 will be considered.
All candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, and the duly filled P 11 form which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/P11.doc indicating three (3) previous supervisors. Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
Only shortlisted consultants will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Manila
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Communication and Public Information
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Social Affairs
- Human Rights
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Communication and Public Information
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Animal Health and Veterinary
- Closing Date: 2017-05-22