Health Specialist (HS)
The Government of Zimbabwe (GoZ), through the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC), is implementing a Results Based Financing (RBF) Programme in partnership with Catholic Organisation for Relief and Development Aid (Cordaid) as the Project Implementation Entity (PIE) and with grant support from the World Bank (Health Sector Development Support Project - HSDSP). The project’s goal is “to increase coverage of quality maternal and child health interventions”. It started in July 2011 in two front-runner districts and is currently being implemented in 18 rural and 2 urban districts covering 405 health facilities.
The design of the project is anchored on three components: 1) Results-based contracts, 2) Management and capacity building, and 3) Monitoring and documentation. It is anticipated that through this project, both the supply and demand sides for health services, particularly maternal health, will be significantly improved contributing to the reduction in maternal and child mortality and morbidity. There is an increased focus on improving the quality of health services. MOHCC & Cordaid are seeking to recruit a suitably qualified Health Specialist as indicated below;-
Position : Health Specialist (HS)
Reporting to : PCU Coordinator MOHCC and Cordaid’s Country Director
Office : Harare, Zimbabwe
The main responsibilities of the Health Specialist will include project management oversight, technical quality assurance support to the Cordaid team and to relevant MOHCC structures, monitoring the programme through analysis of routinely collected data and initiating appropriate improvements in Results Based Financing.
Purpose of the position
The Health Expert’s primary task is to support the MOHCC in the implementation of Results Based Financing with emphasis to integrate RBF mechanism (s) into public health sector management systems and improve quality of services.
The Health Specialist is a key technical and management team member for Cordaid and will play a key role in strengthening the MOHCC’s Program Coordination Unit in RBF and health systems management.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Manage the planning and execution of key RBF functions including (purchasing, verification and reporting)
- Maintain a robust monitoring system in cooperation with the Data Analyst and Database Manager
- Oversee data analysis and contribute to key technical and progress reports on RBF implementation by MOHCC
- Based on guidance of Cordaid management and MOHCC PCU Coordinator, led follow up actions to address identified implementation bottlenecks and provide updates on progress to address implementation issues
- Attend to capacity development needs at various levels (national, province, district, facility and community) associated with technical and policy issues in the area of improving quality of care with a focus on maternal and child health
- Contribute to further development of the Continuous Quality Improvement intervention in close collaboration with the Quality Improvement Expert
- Updating implementation tools including synthesis and dissemination of project performance results
- Participate in key technical working groups/meetings on RBF at national level
- Support MOHCC to operationalize a roadmap towards expanding the scope of RBF to other priority disease areas
- Contribute to specific technical assistance missions supported by World Bank/MOHCC/Global Fund related to RBF
- Participate in strategic planning and policy dialogue relating to RBF
- Verification of quarterly invoices from contracted Provincial and District Health Executives
- Any other duties as and when assigned by the PCU Coordinator or Cordaid Country Director
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Post graduate university degree with a specialization in Public Health, Epidemiology or Economics
- Experience of at least five years in the field of health (and more in particular maternal and child health)
- Strong health data analysis, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Experience in Results Based Financing is a strong asset
- Good organizing skills
- Discreet, honest, trustworthy (trusted), proactive, methodical, diplomatic, task-oriented and team player
- Experience in working with the Government
- Experience in preparing reports and presentations
- Excellent oral and written English
Applications quoting the vacancy number in the subject line: (HS1702 - Harare) including a motivation letter and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded to email@example.com before the end of day Friday the 26th of May 2017.
For hand delivery forward to the attention of the Human Resources Officer, 21 Argyle Road, Avondale, Harare. Indicate the vacancy reference number on the sealed envelope
Contract duration: 9 months (probation period three months) with the intention to extend subject to performance and continuation of the program.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Cordaid does not charge any fees to applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
- Organization: Cordaid - Catholic Organisation for Relief and Development Aid
- Location: Harare
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Public Health and Health Service
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-05-26