South Sudan - Field Coordinator – Malakal
Malakal | Sudan (South Sudan)
Posted on: 27/02/2017**
Desired start date: 02/05/2017
**Duration of the mission: 7 months renewable** Location:** Malakal
About the mission
Solidarités International (SI) currently implements 2 kinds of programs:
- Emergency Preparedness & Response + WaSH intervention in Malakal PoC (ECHO – 01/05/2016 – 31/03/2017): SI is one of the NGOs contracted by ECHO to be part of the EPR system in order to provide a quick response to crisis. This includes the conduction of rapid assessments and the implementation of emergency WaSH short interventions throughout the whole country. The ongoing ECHO project also covers the WaSH activities conducted in the PoC of Malakal.
- Emergency WaSH interventions in informal settlements such as Wau Shilluk. The WaSH intervention in Wau Shilluk, spontaneous IDP camp located across the river from Malakal, is currently conducted under CHF funding (March – August 2016). The intervention focuses on the provision of clean water, hygiene promotion and environmental sanitation.
The 2016 strategy is to continue along the same angles with the main focus on the WaSH / EP&R interventions and a potential development of Food Security and Livelihood projects. The strategy is oriented towards the following 2 axes:
- Ensure access to emergency WaSH and shelter services for vulnerable and acutely vulnerable populations
- Provide the conflict-affected populations of South Sudan with durable and sustainable WASH infrastructures and improved access to food security
About the job
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Head of Mission for a region of a country in which SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL intervenes.
He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
In case of human resource gaps, he/she will be in charge of ensuring temporary and specific support to facilitate the SI operations
He/she is the Head of Mission's direct contact and representative.
Specific context of the post
The main challenges and objectives for Malakal will be:
- Strategy and program development, humanitarian context follow-up.
- Security planning and context follow-up : Exploration of new working areas. Potential Security assessements.
- External relations: representation with humanitarian actors, local authorities and donors. Relations developed must be maintained and expanded.
- Program quality management : programs follow-up, reporting, MEAL
- Support to logistics (especially FU of procurement) and administration departments
- Internal coordination
- Human Resource Management for expatriates
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 3 years as field coordinator or base manager in humanitarian relief contexts
- Demonstrated understanding of Solidarités International position
- Experience in management of security in conflict areas
- Team management and supervisory experience
- Previous experience in South Sudan is major advantage
- Security analysis, humanitarian access analysis is an asset
- Strong management and training skills
- Strong initiative with solid organisational, diplomacy and communication skills
- Stress management skills
- Ability to work within and lead a team
- Strong capacity of adaptation to stressful and basic living conditions
- Ability to work in insicure, conflict and stressful condition and under tight schedule
- Fluent English – written and spoken
- Arabic is an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, working knowledge of spread sheet and database management.
We offer you:
Salaried post: According to experience from 2000 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly, and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7-day break during the 3rd and the 9th month (with 500 euros allocated by Solidarités). He or she will also be entitled to go back to his or her home country for a 14-day period after six months spent on the mission (Solidarités will cover travel costs).
During the assignment, the expatriate is entitled to R&R every three months: one week at three and nine months (with a 500 euro allowance) and two weeks at six months (with a plane ticket back home covered by Solidarités).
CONTACT: Mano GAUDIN, Recruitment & Follow Up Officer
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB : The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
- Organization: Solidarités International
- Location: Malakal | Sudan (South Sudan)
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-06-30
Jerusalem | Gaza (Israel)
P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
Paris | Port-au-Prince (France)