VN 2017/116 (P) - Sub-Regional Coordinator (Western Balkans) and CoM IOM Sarajevo (P5) - Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Position Title Sub-Regional Coordinator (Western Balkans) and Chief of Mission IOM Sarajevo
Duty Station : Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herz.
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P5
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 May 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of
Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
3. External female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director (RD) in Vienna, and in coordination with relevant Departments at Headquarters (HQs) and at the Regional Office (RO), the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for overseeing programme activities, policy formulation/implementation, administrative/financial support, as well as the supervision and oversight of IOM Missions, namely Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Montenegro, and Serbia. At the same time, s/he is responsible for designing and implementing national and sub-regional strategy, and ensuring programmatic, administrative and financial oversight of the IOM missions and offices in the designated countries of the sub-region.*
*Note: The sub-regional Coordinator for the Westerns Balkans supervises IOM Missions and Offices in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, FYROM, Montenegro and Serbia. While the IOM Mission in UNSC resolution 1244 administered Kosovo is headed by a Chief of Mission (CoM) and therefore falls under RO Vienna in terms of administrative and financial oversight, IOM Pristina is part of the sub-regional strategy and is thus to be integrated in related initiatives in coordination with the CoM in Pristina.
Page 1 / 4Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Development and follow up of strategies and policies
• On the basis of IOM’s institutional strategy, develop, articulate and implement IOM’s sub regional strategy and plans of action in coordination with the RO, Headquarters (HQs), Member States concerned, and other relevant actors, as appropriate.
• Play an integral role in policy formulation and in the improvement of approved policies in IOM activities.
• Advise RD, Senior Regional Advisers (SRAs) and other senior managers on IOM migration strategies, polices and approaches in the designated countries of the sub-region and participate in and shape IOM’s contribution to Regional Consultative Processes.
• Recommend actions on a national and sub-regional level in response to, or in anticipation of, opportunities and risks for IOM.
• Prepare briefings for the RD and senior management at HQs on political and migration policy developments related to the work of the Missions in the designated countries of the sub-region. • Analyse migration issues and emerging trends in the designated sub-region and inform the RD, SRAs and Department Directors in HQs about developments, discussions and decisions concerning the sub-region; lead sub-regional strategy and policy planning. • Inform the RO, SRAs and Department Directors in HQs on upcoming major events or programmes in the designated countries of the sub-region that should be brought to the attention of the media or that are likely to attract media attention.
• Advise the RO and HQs on sub-regional policy and emergency matters, as well as on the government’s migration policies affecting the activities of IOM and prepare proposals for appropriate action.
• Participate in the appropriate policy and operational United Nations inter-agency mechanisms. 2. Management and Programme Oversight
• Supervise operational, human resources, budgetary and financial, administrative compliance activities of the IOM Missions in the designated countries of the sub-region in accordance with relevant Organization’s rules and procedures.
• Support Missions or Offices in the sub-region in their work with their respective national counterparts.
• Guide and monitor the project planning, design, implementation and reporting of the IOM Mission in the designated countries of the sub-region, with special emphasis on programmes and projects of sub-regional character and, to that effect, give necessary guidance and support to the Country Missions.
• Plan programmes and projects addressing specific sub-regional migration needs and ensure their compliance with IOM policies, guidelines and standards and alignment with the sub-regional strategy; evaluate IOM’s performance of operational and programmatic activities in the sub-region and liaise with Missions and Offices to develop and implement ways to increase their effectiveness.
• Identify needs and priorities for project development as well as for fundraising purposes within the sub-region. Stimulate, direct, coordinate and support project development in the Country Missions through the implementation of sub-regional strategies and policies and relevant fundraising approaches.
• Develop mechanisms to manage knowledge and best practices and make these available to Missions within the cluster and to relevant units in the RO and HQs.
• Report to the RD, SRAs and relevant Department Directors in HQs on developments and progress achieved in the sub-region.
• Develop and update the Country Offices (COs) Business Continuity Plans. 3. Representation, Advocacy and Partnership Building
• In coordination with the RO and HQs, develop, maintain, promote and strengthen relations and Page 2 / 4liaison with government, donor, international organization, civil society, the private sector and other counterparts and partners at the sub-regional level with a view to creating strategic partnerships and in identifying migration-related opportunities for IOM activities. • Lead and strengthen sub-regional cooperation, external relations, and liaison with relevant regional alliances and bodies.
• Strengthen cooperation, external relations, and liaison with relevant bodies within the sub-region by supporting Country Missions/Offices in their work with their respective national counterparts.
• In coordination with the RO, the Donor Relations Division (DRD) and relevant HQs departments, develop fundraising strategies and mechanisms for sub-regional programmes and projects, in line with the overall regional strategy,
• Represent the Organization at relevant sub-regional and international conferences, meetings and events.
• Support the sub-regional and international processes and dialogues on migration relevant to the sub-region.
• Develop public relations and media activities in order to promote IOM’s image and programmes.
4. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law, International Relations, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with ten years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with twelve years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Extensive experience in resource mobilization and public relations, as well as in liaising with high-level governmental and diplomatic authorities and international institutions; • Experience with European Union (EU) funding mechanism and the EU Accession Process; • Extensive knowledge of programme development and management, as well as with monitoring and evaluation;
• Experience in humanitarian programs for migrants and capacity-building activities required; • Demonstrated experience with finance and country office administration required; • Knowledge and experience with the Western Balkan region;
Organization, as well as of IOM’s history, mandate, and institutional culture.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or languages of the countries of the sub-region covered by the position is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; Page 3 / 4• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 29 May 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 16.05.2017 to 29.05.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/116(P)-Sub-RegionalCoordtr(WesternBalkans)&CoMIOMSarajevo(P5)-Sarajevo,B (55058734) Released
Posting: Posting NC55062596 (55062596) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Sarajevo
- Grade: P-5, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-05-29