Individual consultancy: To develop a National C4D Strategy in Education with and the respective Operational Plan for 2017-2019, Mozambique
Individual consultancy to support development of a national strategy on Communication for Development (C4D) in Education for the mobilization of authorities and school communities for increased demand and action for equitable access, attendance and retention, and drop-out prevention with a special focus on vulnerable children and adolescent girls in line with MINEDH ''Nossa Escola'' operational plan for primary education for 2015-2019.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE.
In collaboration with MINEDH and UNICEF Education and Communication, Adolescents and Public Advocacy Sections, the selected consultant is expected to develop a National C4D Strategy in Education with and the respective Operational Plan for 2017-2019.
METHODOLOGY AND TECHNICAL APPROACH.
The consultant will work closely with the Ministry of Education/Directorate on Cross-cutting Issues and UNICEF CAPP and Education Sections. The consultant is expected to draft a national strategy on C4D in education based on the findings of the desk review, consultation and focus groups discussion. The strategy note will serve as guiding document for the mobilization of authorities, schools and communities for increased demand and action for equitable access, attendance and retention, and prevention of drop-out prevention. The strategy should also include a monitoring and evaluation approach and timeframe.
ACTIVITIES AND TASKS.
The task consists of three stages:
- Desk review of the current key strategic documents including: Primary Education Strategy and its Operational Plan - Nossa Escola, Gender Strategy, Early Marriage Strategy and ORECOMM inception report, to identify the current evidence and data on social norms and other bottlenecks related to access, attendance and retention in primary education, as follows:
- In close coordination with the MINEDH and UNICEF, develop a detailed work plan of the consultancy;
- Conduct a desk review of available data and reports on deprivation, knowledge, attitudes and practices, cultural beliefs, social norms and key influencers;
- Review key sectoral documents and existing strategies to identify current government approaches in communication and social mobilization in the education sector;
- Discuss findings of the desk review with MINEDH and UNICEF to agree on the main directions of the communication for development strategy;
- Conduct focus group discussions with school headmaster in selected schools, leaders of the school councils, religious and community leaders and local education authorities, in school pupils and some drop out children in Tete and Zambezia;
- Summarize key findings of the desk review and focus groups discussions in 10-15 pages brief with an annotated bibliography with links to digital copies of the documents reviewed;
- Present the findings of the desk review to the Ministry of Education and other stakeholders to validate the framework/basis for the development of the C4D strategy.
- Design of the national C4D strategy in education for the period of 2017-2019 to support implementation of Nossa Escola 2015-2019;
- Based on the findings of the desk review, consultation process and focus groups discussions develop a blueprint of the national C4D education strategy, including the monitoring and evaluation approach and timeframe, and present it to MINEDH and other relevant stakeholders;
- Based on the comments from the stakeholders (if any) finalize the strategy and submit for MINEDH and UNICEF approval;
- Development of the Operational Plan of the C4D strategy with a detailed activities, indicators, timeframe and budget for 2017-2019;
- In close consultation with all involved stakeholders (MINEHD, DPECs, SDEJTs, UNICEF) develop a detailed plan for the implementation of the C4D strategy outlining proposed approaches, activities, costs, indicators and responsible actors;
- Lead a 2-days workshop with MINEDH and other relevant participants to present the final strategy and its operational plan for 2017-2019;
- In close consultation with MINED Planning and Communication department indicate budget and timeframe for the operational plan;
- Submit agreed version of operational plan and consultancy report to UNICEF.
Payments will be processed upon acceptance of the corresponding deliverable, and against an invoice that will make reference to the contract reference and deliverable number.
Delivery timeframe: end of week 3 after the signature of the contract
Deliverable/product: Work-plan and desk review report approved by the section head.
Delivery timeframe by the end of week 7
Deliverable/product(s): Field work report approved by the section head
Delivery timeframe by end of week 15
Deliverable/product(s): Draft C4D strategy and operational plan approved by the stakeholders and the UNICEF section head
Delivery timeframe by end of week 18
Deliverable/product(s): Final documents submitted and cleared by UNICEF in coordination with MINEDH
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION.
The selected institution will report to the Communication for Development Specialist, and work closely with the Education Section (Access and Retention team). A detailed work plan will be discussed at the beginning of the contract, and a prioritization of tasks will be fixed within the first week after the beginning of the contract.
This consultancy is for four months, starting from 1 June 2017, ending 30 September 2017 (18 weeks).
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE.
Additional requirements: Minimum of two (2) positive references from previous clients in relation to communication research, and development of strategies and action plans.
Required qualifications: Master degree in Communication or Social Sciences, including sociology, psychology, anthropology or related areas. a Ph.D. would be an asset. Basic training on Research Ethics. Experience on development of education or other social sector communication strategies and operational plans. At least 5 years of experience in working with issues related to behavior change communication. Knowledge of Mozambican culture and fluency in Portuguese would be an asset.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Maputo
- Grade: International Consultant
- Closing Date: 2017-05-26