Legal Aid Team Leader - National Contract
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, Thessaloniki and Larisa in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the close cooperation of the Protection Manager of Central Greece, the legal aid team leader will be coordinating the legal aid project in Central Greece, based from the DRC Greece Larissa office. Furthermore, the Legal Aid Team Leader will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s Legal Aid program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Organisation, administration and personnel management
- Ensures that an adequate legal aid officer human resources structure is in place, with clear identification of roles and responsibilities, tasks and work plans.
- Overall responsibility for the recruitment, management, capacity building, supervision and mentoring of legal aid staff.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation.
- Manage and counsel on the identified legal cases from the sites
- Provide guidance to legal aid officers, regarding individual counselling on the asylum procedure/international protection/ family reunification, follow up on cases regarding the European Relocation scheme and cases that need legal assistance
- Provide guidance for legal assistance in administrative procedures regarding issuing of birth certificate, tax number, work permit, social security number among others
- Provide guidance for legal group info sessions regarding the asylum procedure, rights and obligations of asylum seekers and recognized refugees and other relevant legal topics
- Provide inputs to reporting via tracking tools and support the development of legal aid statistics
- Provision of period updates and inputs for donor reporting that is put in place.
- Provision of written reports regarding challenges or improvements concerning the legal aid components as relevant, including advise and direction for further development.
- Work in the field to be able to address the gaps and needs to improve the legal aid program.
Any other tasks assigned by the Protection Manager of Central Greece to support DRC’s programme.
- Law degree and relevant experience with refugee/migration law and humanitarian law
- Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is a very good advantage
- At least three years working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
- Driving Licence
- Good training skills and a commitment to national staff capacity development
- Excellent management and personnel skills to enable the motivation, encouragement and participation of team
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritize a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues
- An understanding of and commitment to DRC Cores and Values
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
All work-related transport costs from duty station to other work sites are refundable.
All communication costs work related are refundable.
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Larisa (Greece), including visiting the sites of Koutsohero, Volos, Trikala and Thermopyles and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 31st of May 2017.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Larissa
- Grade: Level not specified
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2017-05-31