Consultant (Procurement Officer)
Khartoum | Sudan
JOB TITLE: Procurement Officer – P3 equivalent
TYPE OF CONTRACT: International Consultant
UNIT/DIVISION: Procurement Unit, Sudan Country Office
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Khartoum, Sudan
DURATION: 11 months, with possibility of extension
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
World Food Programme (WFP) Sudan is one of the largest field operations of with estimated portfolio of 80 million USD purchases per annum. The procurement support in Sudan Country Office includes a wide range of food commodities, goods and services sourced locally and internationally.
SUD CO Procurement Team is looking for an experienced procurement officer to lead and supervise a team of locally recruited staff, which is handling high value and complex procurement of food, goods & services, construction Cash Based Transfers.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and directly participate in the procurement strategic planning and sourcing process that support effective and cost optimizing purchase decisions;
- Provide technical oversight, guidance and support to other junior procurement staff in the unit and ensures implementation of best practice procurement policies and procedures in compliance with WFP policies, standards and regulations;
- Lead the implementation of procurement projects of moderate complexity or manage operational activities for a Country Office (e. g. issue tenders, evaluate offers and negotiate/award contracts,) to ensure successful procurement of food commodities, goods/services and CBT activities when required;
- Collate information and draft appropriate responses to recommendations to support auditing of procurement activities and ensure conformity with compliance rules;
- Identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with inspection and superintendent firms to ensure quality control, specifications conformity, volume assessment, monitoring and verification of deliveries;
- Work in close collaboration with cross functional counterparts to align procurement activities and promote an integrated supply-chain approach of food assistance;
- Coordinate and prepare accurate and timely reports of procurement activities to contribute to a WFP wide view that enables informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders, leading to performance optimization;
- Manage individual procurement officers or small procurement teams ensuring appropriate development and enable high performance;
- Review the business process to identify best practices and gaps; make recommendations for improvement and disseminate best practices through SOPs or workshops;
- Build capacity of WFP staff and external partners to take a strategic and proactive approach to the procurement of food and non-food commodities and services e. g., though provision of training sessions or on job training;
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor management of procurement specific risks;
- Other duties as required.
Timely prepare and approve of annual procurement plans; Periodic review and report on variations; Update the operational procurement plan with actual deliveries and pending cases;
Deliver efficient and effective procurement process;
Ensure all records and documentation of the procurement actions are timely and duly updated in the system for audit queries and other operation needs;
Prepares and circulate periodic reports on the procurement related activities;
Deliver procurement training to newly recruited staff or other staff in the office (PCC members, technical & evaluation panel members, procurement focal persons in other requesting units);
Review the risk inventory and prepares analysis of risk mitigation plan,
Successful supervision and guidance of other junior procurement staff under his/her authority;
Draft analysis of risk and management;
Demonstrate right understanding and successful implementation of 4Ps Core organisational capabilities and functional Capabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
Advanced University degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration, Engineering, Legal or Accounting or other relevant field, or first university degree with an additional relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
- Demonstrated experience of successful handling of complex and high value of procurement in local and/or international environment; Proven experience in emergency operations
- Direct Experience communicating and coordinating with UN Agencies, large international conglomerates
- Experience working with food commodity markets as well as goods and services needed in support of WFPs Operations and its related market intelligence,
- Experience working with vendors and engaging them in strategic business partnership with WFP operation in the country,
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good knowledge of local and international procurement practice with exposure on food procurement, food inspection, non- food procurement (goods & services);
- Basic understanding of supply chain concept and role of the procurement in this background;
- Ability to compile market surveys, basic feasibility studies or concept notes, basic project proposals and documents of the same nature;
- Capable of integrating WFP procurement capacity into capacity enhancement of local market and promotion of programme innovations (small holder farmers, retailers strategy under Cash Based Transfer).
- International Proficiency: Fluency (level C) in English language;
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP working language, Portuguese.
Interested applicants can apply through the vacancy announcement posted on WFP Career Web-Site using the following links:
Interested external applicants can apply on WFP Career Site:
Interested internal applicants can apply through the E-Recruitment tool - Log-in to:
Applicants are required to create their personal account and fill in the profile form with their personal details in WFP Career Web-Site through the links provided above.
Applicants must ensure that they fill in the mandatory sections in the application, attach an updated CV, answer the pre-screening questions and agree on the legal statement prior to submitting the application.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
The closing date for the VA will be 05 June 2017
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Khartoum | Sudan
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-06-05