Vacancy Announcement: Logistics Officer
Organization: Adeso - African Development Solutions (www.adesoafrica.org)
Position Title: Logistics Officer
Reporting To: Project Director
Wor**king With**: Field and Nairobi Staff
Program/Duty Station: Garissa
Duration: One (1) year
Starting Date: Immediately
Adeso, formally known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
MasterCard International was established in 1966 as a cooperative of US banks in order to create the basic infrastructure and governance to allow bank credit cards to be issued by individual banks with limited geographical reach but be accepted by merchants nationally and eventually globally.
The MasterCard Labs for Financial Inclusion is the seventh in a series of MasterCard Innovation Hubs and it is also the first Lab in Africa and the first to focus exclusively on financial inclusion. With the support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Lab seeks to impact more than 100 million people by bringing together MasterCard’s innovation and global financial inclusion capabilities under one roof, combining these with local expertise and insight.
The iHub, founded in 2010, is a globally-recognized organization that is deeply steeped in the local tech innovation culture. The iHub has been both the main catalyst for regional tech acceleration and a role model for tech hubs across emerging markets.
They serve the tech community, by connecting organizations and people, building market relevant solutions and being ahead of the curve of innovation. Since its founding iHub has supported the creation of more than 100 start-ups, employed more than 1,000+ individuals, and reached more than 200,000 people through communications outreach. IHub strives to become the best African support system for ICT-focused tech entrepreneurs and individuals who aspire to tackle large-scale challenges by creating an environment of trust and experimentation that facilitates the growth of entrepreneurs and their companies with the acknowledgement that this is only possible with strong partnerships. IHub ensures it uses a culture of inclusivity to include those traditionally left out in society.
The three agencies for the AIM Consortium or the DEPP Lab Consortium. The AIM Consortium has a combination of more than 50 years’ experience connecting organizations and people, building market relevant solutions and being ahead of the curve of innovation. Community connectedness is one of the Lab’s key advantages. We are able to convene a community around the issues of disaster, emergency preparedness and innovation. We continuously invigorate a vibrant community of innovators and entrepreneurs able to build globally competitive companies, while solving the myriad of problems present in Africa and across the developing world. We develop people by providing an environment that allows them to visibly grow in their technical and non-technical skills, and critically, act as a connector, allowing world captains in business and technology to meet with aspiring entrepreneurs fresh from high school.
DEPP LAB PROJECT
The DEPP Lab project is a twenty-two (22) months project being implemented by the AIM-DEPP Lab Consortium whose objective is to increase preparedness and resilience of disaster-prone communities in Garissa and Marsabit counties of Kenya by drawing on their deep knowledge of pastoralist communities.
The Consortium will undertake activities to meet the objective by utilizing the Consortium members’ in house experience in managing labs and proven innovation methodology. The project will build up communities’ capacities to identify and evaluate the risks related to natural disasters and innovative mitigation measures to address these gaps.
The Consortium will identify and reinforce existing disaster coping mechanisms and refine new contingency measures emerging from the target communities. The Consortium will also ensure participation of rural communities at the village level rather than focus on urban issues, as an innovation labs need to.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Director, the Logistics Officer will be responsible for Logistics and oversight of transportation, warehousing, equipment maintenance.
The Logistics Officer will be responsible for ensuring quality in logistics support across Adeso HQ, field offices, and projects. You will also ensure the logistics function is delivering timely, cost-effective, high quality and appropriate support; and supporting field teams in achieving and maintaining standards in logistics work.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Logistics and Procurement
· Assist in ensuring that the logistics and procurement tracking is current and updated.
· Ensure timely and accurate logistical reporting to Project Director.
· Continuously assess the market for new logistics and procurement opportunities.
· Ensure timely delivery of program supplies to field sites in line with project implementation.
· Assist in the development, monitoring and review of logistics and procurement plans.
· Ensure that all logistics contracts with Adeso are in an updated database spreadsheet and are paid on time.
Transport and Travel
· Manage and coordinate vehicles and drivers currently used by the team.
· Manage and coordinate all air movements within Adeso.
· Support in the hiring of additional vehicles where necessary.
· Ensure that the Drivers fill in the log sheets accurately on a daily basis.
· Arrange for road and air transportation of goods when necessary.
· Ensure that vehicles are periodically scheduled for maintenance and service.
· Ensure and maintain various logistics trackers: flight trackers, vehicle insurance trackers vehicle movement trackers, vehicle hire trackers, warehouse trackers etc.
· Ensure that all assets and equipment used in Adeso are properly assessed and documented (including physical location and condition) to contribute to an updated country program asset register;
· Ensure that all documentation is completed and stored in readiness for external and internal audit requirements;
· To carry out periodic stock checks and to provide physical count of random items in storage. To manage all paperwork related to stored items, including Stock Cards, delivery and receipt papers.
· Ensure logistical support in event of emergency, and that all necessary advance measures have been taken.
· Provide IT support/networking support when necessary.
· Liaison with other NGOs and UN agencies on logistics issues related to communication.
· Ensure that systems for regular maintenance or repair are implemented for vehicles and other equipment and that routine maintenance and repair of communication and office equipment (computer, radios, satellite phones, power generators) is carried out per schedule.
· Ensure that proper tracking of equipment out for maintenance is followed.
· Provide technical supervision of drivers for matters related to safety and security.
· Offer support and trainings when required to logistics staff in the Adeso field locations
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the Operations Director.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Bachelor’s degree/diploma in Logistics and Supply chain management or its equivalent in relevant field.
· Post graduate technical training an added advantage.
· Minimum four (4) years’ experience in similar role (NGO field or country head office preferred).
· Knowledge of DFID donor regulations will be an added advantage.
· Excellent IT skills, in particular Word, Excel and email is a must.
· Technical IT skills, such as networking and problem solving is an advantage.
· Excellent people management skills and good communicator.
· Highly organized and self-motivated.
· Ability to work under high pressure and prioritize tasks.
· High standard of written and spoken English with spoken Kiswahili a must.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com, quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 4th June, 2017.
Each application should be addressed to HR Manager and include the following:
· An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
· An application letter which should include cover letter, previous remuneration history and expected remuneration and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one's background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.
- Organization: Adeso
- Location: Kenya
- Grade: Mid level
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Closing Date: 2017-06-04