Archives Assistant, G-4,(Nairobi), Deadline: 31 May 2017
Nairobi | Kenya
Issued on: 24 May 2017
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: UN-HABITAT
DUTY STATION: Nairobi
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: ARCHIVES ASSISTANT
POST DURATION: 2 YEARS
CLOSING DATE:31ST May 2017**
UN-Habitat Archives and Records Management programme ensures proper records keeping system and archiving of documents to support institutional memory and encourage organization learning, with the major objective of ensuring timely provision of information to support decision making.
- Supports the management of UN-Habitat Archives; ensuring that records are properly stored, safe-guarded and available for reference by authorized staff members;
- Arrange and assist with transfers of records from offices to the Record center, and provide retrieval services for Staff.
- Process new acquisition of records in accordance with the approved procedures and guidelines, ensuring that transferred records meet the required standards and are stored securely,
- Support the implementation of UN-Habitat Records Disposition Projects for physical and electronic records by coordinating with relevant UN-Habitat staff concerning secondary storage; ensuring proper preparation of background information.
- Implement records disposal procedures by liaising with relevant section coordinators to ensure that the disposed records are guided by the organization retention schedule, in support of disposition decisions
- Create and maintain manual accession register for transferred records to support of reference, archival arrangement and descriptions.
- Participate in the appraisal and processing of legacy record according to identified records groups and series, and provide relevant assistance to users regarding access to documents stored in the records Center and the Archives.
- Participate in the archival arrangement and description of records according to the agreed standards and administrative histories and provide records content analysis for purposes of series description.
- Coordinate the delivery of correspondences from UN-Habitat to UNON, Mail and Pouch Unit, and other UN offices as required, ensuring efficient and timely delivery of official mail to respective offices both internally and externally.
- Update systematically the UN-HABITAT Intranet Staff Directory, ensuring quality control and currency of the information.
- Scan and upload documents on Performance, Accrual and Accounting System (PAAS) Knowledge Resource Page as required
- Undertake any other duty as assigned by the Head of Division or Unit
Professionalism: Knowledge of electronic record-keeping, relevant information systems and ability to manage records life cycle. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Communication: -Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;-Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;-Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;-Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;-Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Technological Awareness; Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology **
Knowledge of automated information systems applied to archive and records management and information networks is required. Familiarity with Registry, Mail and Pouch functions added advantage.
Completion of secondary level education. A Diploma or post-Secondary training in Archives and Records Management or a related Information Management field desired.
Four years progressive experience in the field of Archives Administration and Records management, including managing records life-cycle in both paper and electronic format.
Experience of using computer technology is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of other UN official languages is an asset.
Applicants may have to sit the Global General Services Test (GGST) as per OHRM instructions.
See UN website http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/index.html
Applications should include:
- Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
- CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org). Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a Personal History Profile (PHP).
- The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
All applications should be submitted to: **
All applications should be submitted to: Email Joseph.Gichuki@unhabitat.org
Deadline for applications: 31st May 2017
UN-Habitat does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com
- Organization: UN-HABITAT - United Nations Agency for human settlements
- Location: Nairobi | Kenya
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-05-31