Programme Management Consultant, P3, Nairobi, Kenya
Provide Techincal and Programme support services to the Education section.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
UNICEF supports a response to children affected by AIDS by providing protection, care and support to mitigate the impact of the HIV epidemic on households, but also to support increased access and retention into HIV treatment and care programmes. UNICEF supports strong linkages to child protection systems to provide social care and protection to children and families affected by HIV and AIDS.
Somalia is in a protracted complex humanitarian crisis. Epidemiological mapping shows very different profiles and morbidity/mortality burdens for HIV in the different parts of Somalia – indicating different programme strategies. The financing of health services in Somalia is largely through humanitarian funds and so targeted to geographically limited service delivery projects for short periods of time. The GF grants to Somalia represent a significant proportion of total health financing and some of the most predictable financing available. As such they provide an important strategic element to the financing of health services in Somalia.
The current HIV grant to Somalia is approximately a $20 million initiative over two and half years that is implemented through a broad range of partners. UNICEF, as the Principal Recipient (PR), is required to ensure effective planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of the programme.
How can you make a difference?
The Education Section manages a portfolio of complex projects valued at over $55 million from various donors with significant monitoring and reporting requirements. Furthermore the pre-famine response in 2017 will require additional surge support in the section to ensure that the programme effectively reaches beneficiaries in a timely manner.
Summary of key accountabilities:
Under the guidance of the Education Specialist and Chief of Education, the Consultant will provide additional support to the Education Section in project development, management and reporting, with a focus on a large Alternative Basic Education programme funded by USAID. Working closely with colleagues based in Zonal Offices as well as Nairobi, the Consultant will carry out the following tasks:
1. Support to Education in Emergencies (25 %) component of USAID ABE programme
- Programme planning: Support the preparation of new Programme Documents for reprogramming of USAID funds for drought response, including detailed budgets and related annexes, in collaboration with zonal colleagues. This includes robust quality assurance of all documentation before submission to Programme Review Committee.
- Implementation support and monitoring: monitor implementation and expenditures under reprogramming component, in collaboration with zonal colleagues.
- M&E: work with zonal colleagues to systematically track progress and targets and collect data on EiE component of project, in line with USAID’s guidelines and Activity Monitoring and Evaluation Plan (AMEP).
- Reporting: collate information from partner reports, zonal colleagues field reports and information and USSC field visits to produce high quality reports in line with USAID requirements.
Communications: work with zonal colleagues to develop Human Interest Stories on the emergency response.
2. Support to USAID ABE Programme (75%)
- Technical support: provide support to USSC and zonal colleagues on technical and pedagogical aspects of the programme, including multigrade teaching, reading instruction and development of supplementary reading materials. The consultant will develop case studies on best practices.
- Implementation support and monitoring: support the Education Specialist in the monitoring of implementation, including partner reports and expenditures.
- M&E: support the Education Specialist on tracking progress and targets and collect data, in line with USAID’s guidelines and Activity Monitoring and Evaluation Plan (AMEP). Update the AMEP as required.
- Online M&E Platform: coordination with PM&E Section the establishment of online M&E platform for project.
- Documentation and reporting. The consultant will support the Education Specialist on the development and finalization of formalized reports as well as other regular updates to the donor on implementation and achievements.
Communications. The consultant will increase communications with USAID, increasing visibility with the donor on ABE achievements. This USAID’s heavy focus on communications and visibility must follow specific guidelines and will include (but is not limited to) the following materials:
- Fact Sheets
- Transforming Lives template
- Material for use on Twitter and Facebook
- Human Interest Stories
As a champion for every child you will have:
- Masters level or higher degree in Education, International Relations, Social Science or related field
- At least 5 years post qualification experience in international development
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of Education programmes in Emergency contexts
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong assets include experience in UNICEF’s programming and operational environment, and in the Somalia context
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-06-07