Temporary Appointment: Support Services Officer, P-2, N’Djamena Chad (364 days)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the direct supervision and overall guidance of the Chief of Operations, the Support Services Officer will provide a range of high level executive, operations support services, including providing strategic advice, managing communications and facilitating the implementation of strategies to support the achievement of the Country Programme strategic and operational objectives, ensuring that the office’s administrative operations and services are in compliance with the organization's policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
Key Expected Results
- Prepare, manage and review the provision of high level communications and correspondence including briefings, reports, submissions and notes to ensure the comprehensiveness, accuracy, and timeliness of written information. Act as the point of contact, liaise with staff members and stakeholders and action requests to coordinate communication and proactively ensure responses meet deadlines
- Research and prepare strategic advice, information and reports on diverse and complex policy, planning and operational matters to facilitate informed decision making and planning
- Prepare statistical reports and serves as the focal point for Operations management indicators.
- Plan and prepare for meetings on behalf of the Chief of Operations, coordinate/prepare briefings presentations and attend as appropriate; coordinate the Chief of Operations participation in inter-agency meetings (OMT).
- Provide issues management and support, responding to emerging issues to ensure effective resolution with minimal risk to the organization. Assist the Chief of Operations in identifying risks and weakness in all operations areas and make recommendations to mitigate them. Also assist in maintaining office Business continuity plan (BCP) document and risk control measures and periodic assessments. Assist in the follow-up on the implementation of the internal/external audit recommendations and provide feedback on the status to the Chief of Operations / Representative.
- Lead and/or contribute to projects to support the achievement of organisation level strategic and operational objectives. Develop and oversee the implementation and evaluation of administrative practices, systems and procedures to optimize efficiency and support the achievement of quality outcomes. Provide adequate and continuous feedback on the quality, relevance and efficiency of section work plan implementation and submit quarterly progress reports to the Chief of operations.
- Perform any other tasks given by the Chief of Operations.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in business administration, public affairs, social sciences, international relations or other related discipline.
*First university degree with additional two-years of relevant work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
2. Work Experience
Two years of relevant professional work experience in general office management, public affairs or international development or other related fields.
Fluency in French and English.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [I]
- Drive for Result [II]
- Working With People [I]
3. Functional Competencies
- Analyzing [ I ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- Planning and Organizing [II]
To view our competency framework, please click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that N’Djamena is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: N'Djamena
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-06-07