Grants and Communications Coordinator
Amman | Turkey
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2012, responding to the acute needs of conflict affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governorate, in close coordination with local partners and local councils. The program has a heavy focus on Food Security, WASH and Emergency response and a growing reliance on cash and voucher modalities.
The Grants and Communications Manager is responsible for coordinating all proposals, donor reporting, and information and grants management systems for the GOAL Syria grant portfolio. Reporting to the Assistant Country Director–Programmes (ACDP), and working closely with programme coordinators, MEAL and systems departments (finance, compliance, logistics, etc.), s/he is responsible for the management of a complex portfolio of grants, supporting programme development, leading proposal development processes and for liaising with donors. The Grants and Communications Manager is also responsible for ensuring the high quality of donor reports and to ensure compliance with GOAL and donor requirements. The Grants and Communication Manager further will support the GOAL Syria country programme by developing and implementing an external communications strategy. Finally, the Grants and Communications Manager supervises the Programme Support Officer as well as the Communications Field Officer.
- Manage all donor reporting processes through the coordination and drafting of high quality donor reports for the GOAL Syria grant portfolio, ensuring compliance with GOAL and donor requirements and timely submission to donors
- Serve as the focal point for grants between the GOAL Syria country office and GOAL HQ.
- Develop and maintain grant management tools, such as reporting and proposal trackers, regularly circulating to relevant staff
- With the support of the Programme Support Officer (PSO) ensure that regular grant management meetings are held, with minutes and relevant documents disseminated, and action points followed upon.
- Line management responsibility of the Programme Support Officer (PSO); communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timey feedback to continue their professional development.
- Strengthen and build the capacity of the grants team to develop creative, responsible, competitive concept notes and proposals and quality, accurate donor reports.
- Working closely with the ACD-P and Programme Coordinators, contribute to new programme development and strategic planning.
- Working closely with the ACD-P, lead the development of concepts and proposals which fit within GOAL Syria’s strategic objectives, securing input from other departments and coordinating internal processes for securing feedback and approvals. Draft/edit concept notes and proposals and liaise with GOAL HQ to finalise submission.
- Research new programme and funding opportunities in line with the GOAL Syria country strategic plan, including liaising with other INGOs, UN Agencies, bilateral donors and others to maintain current knowledge of the donor environment and ‘map’ funding opportunities for GOAL’s programmes in Syria.
- Review GOAL Syria’s partner proposals and budgets when requested, providing constructive feedback
External representation and Information Management
- Support the Assistant Country Director Programmes / Country Director in the management of donor relations, grants/programme development related issues as needed.
- Represent GOAL in donor meetings as and when required.
- Attend relevant coordination meetings, as delegated by the SMT, representing GOAL and providing updates and flagging key issues of concern
- Distribute and share with relevant staff copies of all grant documentation (grant proposals, reports, budget etc.). Ensure comprehensive grant files are maintained up to date and are available for use. Respond to ad-hoc requests from donors, HQ and other stakeholders for information on the GOAL Syria programme
- Lead the development and implementation of the GOAL Syria external communications strategy, ensuring effective communication across actors including, but not limited to, donors, relevant government ministries, local stakeholders in Syria and communities in GOAL’s area of operation.
- Responsible for designing and producing both print and online GOAL Syria promotional and communication materials, including success stories, articles, videos, newsletters, factsheets, brochures, marketing materials, etc. in line with Head Office, donor guidelines and the needs of the Syria team for different audiences (donors, public audiences, etc.)
- Develop and manage communication and visibility budget lines, ensuring effective use of funds, regularly updating Budget Management Tools (BMTs).
- Line management of 1 Field Communications Officer based in Syria; communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timey feedback to continue their professional development.
- With the full knowledge and oversight of the Country Director, be a point of contact for GOAL’s media team in HO.
- Assist with the development and resourcing of internal communication products such as newsletters, in lines with the needs of the GOAL Syria programme.
- Ensure GOAL and if applicable donor visibility on all print and online communications outputs, on staff clothing, banners, items distributed to beneficiaries, etc.
- Engage with national and international media, through journalist visits, articles, press releases, etc. in liaison with ACDP, CD and HO Media team
And, any other duties as outlined by the line manager or Country Director.
- Graduate qualification ideally with a specialisation in development, humanitarian aid, international law, social sciences or another relevant field
- Minimum two years’ experience in proposal development (including log frames and budgets) and donor reporting, preferably with an INGO in a similar capacity in a field position
- Knowledge of donor mechanisms such as OFDA, DFID and ECHO; with knowledge of donor compliance advantageous
- Working knowledge of budget development and management
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in English; knowledge of Arabic desirable
- IT skills, especially in Word and Excel with ability to analyse data and interpret statistical information
- Ability to work under pressure, and prioritise workload according to the changing needs of the programme
- Good interpersonal skills and commitment to capacity building
- Enthusiastic, flexible and with the ability to work long hours to meet the needs of the programme
- Understanding of mainstreaming principles, including gender and child protection
- Previous experience in Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) and remote management an advantage
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.
- Organization: GOAL
- Location: Amman | Turkey
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-06-17