Individual National Consultant in Nutrition, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
To support the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and other related agencies in revitalizing of the national iodine deficiency disorders control programme in Viet Nam and implementation of Decree 09 on mandatory food fortification in Viet Nam.
As per TOR
The selected consultant will support the nutrition team, UNICEF Viet Nam’s Child Survival and Development Programme to work with relevant stakeholders and effectively coordinate them in revitalizing the National IDDC programme through leading the information, coordination, implementation, monitoring and support of the planned interventions/activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow up and support the MOH and MARD in establishment of a multi-sectoral working committee for coordination of implementation of the NIIDDC programme, with the MOH focal point appointed and coordination modalities between the two ministries identified.
Follow up and provide technical support to MOH, MARD and other stakeholders in preparing for and implementing the decree 09, focusing on mandatory iodisation of household salt and salt for food processing.
Follow up and provide support to establishment of effective and sustainable monitoring and evaluation system for national iodine deficiency control program.
- Follow up and provide support to training on iodine laboratories (this will be further facilitated by CDC experts).
- Provide support to MARD to carry out review and mapping of the entire consumption salt industry and major salt-using food industries including the review of the consumption salt processing facilities to ensure iodization of all consumption salt and use of iodized salt by food processors.
Undertake field visits to monitor programme implementation, in particular iodization of consumption salt, use of iodized salt by food processors and legislation monitoring and enforcement and provide assistance to implementing stakeholders as requested.
Prepare monitoring and intervention reports and situation analysis updates.
Support UNICEF in preparation of programme funding proposals and donor reports.
- Participate in coordination meetings with other agencies/INGOs in relation to NIDDC programme including planning, operations, coordination and information sharing.
Methodology & Expected Deliverables
To achieve the above-mentioned tasks, the assignment requires regular interaction with Department of Economic Cooperation and Rural Development/MARD, NIN and relevant partners at MOH, donors and technical partners. The main work will include 1) support the MOH and MARD in establishment of a multi-sectoral working committee for NIDDC programme 2) support to establishment of effective and sustainable monitoring and evaluation system for NIDDC programme 3) conducting field visits to monitor programme implementation, in particular iodisation of consumption salt, use of iodized salt by food processors 4) support for training on iodine laboratories facilitated by CDC experts 5) support NIN to incorporate appropriate iodine indicators into existing national nutrition surveillance system in 63 provinces and national nutrition survey.
Deliverables and Time frame:
As per TOR.
The national consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Policy Specialist of UNICEF and overall guidance of the Chief, CSD programme, UNICEF. The consultant will operate in close cooperation with the nutrition team, delegated staffs at relevant ministries, national institute of nutrition…as required.
Qualification/Specialised Knowledge and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in Nutrition, Social Sciences, Economics, Development Studies or a related field is preferred
- Proven strong experiences on policy advocacy and coordination for nutrition programme interventions are required as an asset
- A minimum of six years’ experience in the field of health and nutrition
- Experience in supervising/implementing public health/nutrition programmes in Viet Nam
- Advanced skills on analyzing relevant documents from various sources to generate/summarize required reports.
- Strong networking and communication skills (written and verbal) in English and Vietnamese required.
- Sound judgement is required in follow-up on requests; high degree of accuracy is important. Ability to meet tight deadlines through excellent time management, organization and multi-tasking skills.
- Good computer knowledge. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, including Microsoft Office (Word, Access, PowerPoint), various email applications, data entry using proprietary databases, and using the Internet for researches and reports i.e. Analysis, proposal, etc.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Interested candidates are kindly requested to apply online and submit the following documents:
- Letter of Interest:
- Financial Proposal: The consultant must prepare a financial proposal with breakdown of costs including the consultancy fee, per-diems, all travel costs and other ancillary costs.
- Three Referees with details of similar consultancy assignments.
- The Consultant must complete and submit a P-11 form ( UN Personal History Form )
Please contact email@example.com for the full TOR if required.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Sunday 4 June 2017 at 23:55 hours Viet Nam Time.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Hanoi
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Public Health and Health Service
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-06-04