Community Management and Coordination Coordinator - Lebanese Nationals Only - Lebanon
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Role and responsibilities
After implementing Collective Site Management and Coordination (CMC) project in informal tented settlement for several years, NRC plans in the North started including areas outside of sites. The project aims to support the refugee and host communities, through identification and capacity building of community representatives, regular meetings between them and NRC staff, service providers and local authorities. Community projects per area and capacity building of local authorities is also a large part of the project.
- Coordinate and implement the CMC project in Akkar according to strategy, proposals and plans
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies and donor requirements
- Develop annual and monthly activity and work plans based on CMC strategy and donor proposals
- Supervision, training and development of the CMC staff
- Identify and share ideas for strategic changes in the activities for improvement
- Cooperate with relevant partners and local authorities
- Organize trainings for the CMC team, relevant partners and beneficiaries
- Prepare weekly activity/project reports and other reporting as required
- Ensure proper filing of all project documents
- Provide day-to-day support to the CMC Officers and the rest of the team in project implementation
- Ensure regular reporting from the CMC team on protection issues and humanitarian gaps for consolidation of data;
- Provide the CMC PM with regular reports on project implementation, status and any identified issues;
- Contribute to reports on CMC activities to the CMC PM for sharing with OMT and donors;
- Ensure quality monthly reporting from the informal settlements and urban areas to the PM for further sharing, and ensure a supported handover of reporting responsibility to the refugee committees;
- Ensure regular monitoring of project implementation using developed tools
- Undertake regular field visits to the settlements to support the CMC team and guide them in the project implementation and meet with the refugee representatives;
- Assist the team in ensuring a participatory approach to identifying and capacity building refugee representatives in the informal settlements and urban areas (AGDM approach).
- Assist the team in building a good working relationship with local authorities and other service providers in the informal settlements and urban areas.
- Represent NRC CMC at relevant internal and external meetings in the field and in Beirut at request from the CMC PM.
- Promote the rights of refugees from Syria actively.
- Maintain a database of the information collected on informal settlements and urban areas NRC CMC works in.
- Share of relevant information with other core competencies in Akkar.
- Prepare the weekly movement plan linked to the weekly activity plan.
- Develop procedures for the implementation of the CMC project in accordance with NRC CMC strategy, NRC principles and guidelines together with the CMC PM.
- Provide guidance and follow-up to the CMC staff in their project implementation.
- Develop and implement work and development plan with the CMC Officers he/she supervises;
- Ensure that all project activities and individual team and staff work plans are in line with the project activity plan, the principles of confidentiality and protection and discussed with the CMC PM.
- Ensure that all project activities are in accordance with budget lines.
- Together with the CMC PM and HR department recruit any new staff based on needs.
- Keep an updated hard copy and soft copy filing system for all project documents.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the CMC PM.
By interfaces, NRC means processes and projects that are interlinked with other departments/units or persons. Relevant interfaces for this position are:
- CMC team in Akkar, particularly the officers
- NRC Logistics, HR and Finance team in Akkar
- Service providers representatives and UNHCR in the field
- CMC groups
- Local authorities
Competencies are important in order for the employee and the organization to deliver desired results. They are relevant for all staff and are divided into the following two categories:
1. Professional competencies
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Ordinary National Diploma in Social work or other relevant field
- Masters in Social work or other relevant field is a plus.
- Minimum 3 years of proven field experience, preferably from refugee/IDP programs in complex emergencies and with experience from working in a difficult security environment;
- Practical experience with planning and execution of humanitarian projects;
- Experience in capacity building and community based programming;
- Experience in staff management;
- Experience of management of projects to deadlines;
- Experience in logistics/ admin / finance management;
- Experience of coordination work;
- Experience of working in the geographical area;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development