Communication Specialist, Uganda
Arua | Kigali
Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 49 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $151 million.
Communication Specialist, Uganda
ACDI/VOCA is promptly seeking Communication Specialist for an anticipated Emergency Food Security Program in Uganda funded by USAID. The EFS Program will address the ongoing refugee crises in Uganda’s West Nile and will provide food security relief to the refugee and host communities. The immediate interventions are rooted in the program objectives to combat malnutrition and launch coping strategies through efficient management of natural resources and social inclusion. The EFS Program is anticipated to start in August, 2017 with the term of 18 months.
The Communication Specialist will shape a strong communication strategy that outlines the program activities and will play a critical role in delivering clear, concise and powerful message of support to the host and refugee communities. In close collaboration with the team, the Communication Specialist will highlight success in programing, lessons learned, and opportunities for collaboration within West Nile aid community. The position is based in Arua, Uganda.
· Lead the design, development and implementation of the program’s communications strategy that utilizes various media including online platforms, a monitoring and evaluation portal for USAID, social media, and mobile apps, as appropriate
· Communicate project activities, success stories and results to USAID/Uganda, stakeholders and donor community thorough project newsletters and other outreach methods and tools
· Design and develop communication materials, and supervise the production
· Support the design and implementation knowledge and sharing platform within the team and across the aid community
· Advise to the Chief of Party on strategic communication approaches to highlight the success of the program
· Network and collaborate with other communications specialist within the region to enhance positive visibility of the project, the team, and ACDI/VOCA
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, liberal arts, humanitarian affairs, international development, political science or related field required, advanced degree preferred
· A minimum of five years of relevant work experience, preferably in emergency and humanitarian response environments
· Superior writing, reporting, and oral communication skills (ability to provide an original writing sample required)
· Advanced graphic design (preferably Adobe InDesign) and web editing skill preferred
· Proficient in video editing desired
· Regional experience East Africa required
· Fluency in English required
Please apply online at www.acdivoca.org/international-jobs. The applications are reviewed promptly upon receipt. EOE.
- Organization: ACDI/VOCA
- Location: Arua | Kigali
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2017-06-20