Senior Info. Comm. Technology Assistant GS-7 FT (South Sudanese Nationals Only)
New York City
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Senior ICT Assistant is to provide ICT support for users in all locations, at country, ensuring that effective and efficient solutions are provided to all incidents and queries on ICT operations and services. The incumbent is responsible for user support in first and second line functions: provides business support for country; communicates with users, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and ICT Management; and escalates incidents from users, SMEs, vendors, and ICT Management. She/he maintains relevant documentation on known problems, processes and procedures for the Global Help Desk.
Key Expected Results
- Timely and effective user support is provided on an on-going basis, by assisting in the programming and implementation of new systems and performing first and second line support functions.
- Timely and proper Info. Communication Technology support is provided to users, SMEs and ICT Management for maintaining the organization's computer systems infrastructure.
- Escalation is properly directed in a timely manner.
- Performance monitoring and reporting is regularly conducted for service improvement.
- Documentation and training of help desk processes and procedures are provided to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency, support provided to staff on systems applications.
- Assignments of additional duties and responsibilities are effectively performed.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Timely and effective user support is provided on an on-going basis, by assisting in the programming and implementation of new systems and performing first and second line support functions.
- Provide on-site technical hardware support to the office IT equipment, including the network servers, switches, LAN cabling, PCs and laptops, modems, routers, printers, etc. Diagnose and rectify problems in a timely manner, and where necessary coordinate with external companies for repair or replacement. Minimize systems downtime, and provide sound technical solutions to the office hardware and software issues.
2. Timely and proper Info Communication Technology support is provided to users, SMEs and ICT Management for maintaining the organization's computer systems infrastructure.
- Implement a technical preventive maintenance schedule to ensure maximum equipment lifetime. Establish adequate computer hardware spares inventory maintaining minimum stock levels and initiate reorder of spares in an orderly and timely manner.
3. Escalation is properly directed in a timely manner.
- Provide technical support and administer the office information technology facilities. This includes the electronic mail, PABX, Internet, etc. Diagnose and rectify problems in a timely manner, and where necessary coordinate with external companies for repair or replacement. Ensure that the most cost-effective routines and methods are in place
4. Performance monitoring and assessment is regularly conducted for service improvement.
- Ensures application/compliances of ICT policies and guidelines, established processes and procedures by all team members.
- Provides detailed metrics periodically on Help Desk queries, analyzes them to assess staff performance, faulty areas in the ICT infrastructure causing issues, and defines training needs, for improvement in the service provided to users.
5. Documentation and training of the Help Desk processes and procedures is provided to maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency.
- Provide on-site technical training and documentation to all staff on how to properly care for the IT equipment in their care. Establish and maintain procedures for business continuity and disaster recovery. Install new IT equipment and redeploy existing IT equipment. As part of the installation of new computers, this task should include the installation of all standard software and LAN connections.
6. Assignments of additional duties and responsibilities are effectively performed.
- Performs any additional assignments as requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Completion of Secondary education supplemented with formal training (at university level) in Computer Science, Business Administration or computer related certification (e.g., A+ certification, ITIL Foundation Certification or equivalent customer support certification).
- Computer literacy and ability to effectively use standard office software, tools and technologies.
- Must pass the UN clerical test in English.
- Seven years practical professional work experience in information technology, as well as systematic methods of troubleshooting and analytical problem solving, providing assistance to users on ICT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools. Practical experience with various computer platforms and applications: operating systems, email and database systems, Microsoft Office product suites, Help Desk software, advanced PC/laptop/printer installation, configuration, troubleshooting and repairs. Work experience in providing ICT support to remote field offices in developing countries an asset.
- Work experience in emergencies.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another UN language an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Following instructions and Procedures
- Planning and Organizing
Common Technical Knowledge Required
- Practical knowledge of computer programming, software information management, data processing applications, database development, network administration, data communications, telecommunications, hardware and software installation, service management, end-user assistance, preparation of end-user documentation and manuals.
- UNICEF Field Offices environment and use of ProMS and/or SAP
- Knowledge of Help Desk tools and processes
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
- Practical knowledge of Service Delivery processes (e.g., Incident Management, Problem Management, Configuration Management, Change Management, Release Management).
- Practical knowledge of Service Support (e.g., Service Level Management, Availability Management, Capacity Management, Financial Management, ICT Service Continuity Management, Security Management)
- Knowledge of ITIL standards of services support
- Knowledge of server operating systems, active directory services, network operating systems platforms
- Systems roll outs and implementation in large scale ICT environment
- Software development methodologies
- Practices and principles of systems support
- Practices and principles of ICT analysis, planning, design, implementation and problem resolution
- Trends in information technologies and services management
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
- Understanding of UNICEF ICT policies, procedures and guidelines (including Information Security Policy and Standards of Electronic Conduct.)
- Understanding of UN/UNICEF Financial rules and regulations, business processes and procedures.
- Understanding of UN Mission and system; and International Code of Conduct
- Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and observance of UNICEF Guiding Principles
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City
- Grade: Services and Support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-06-09