Security and Safety Officer (National Position), Ramadi - Iraq
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the security and safety officer position is to implement the delegated security portfolio, the officer will conduct regular security and risk assessments to identify safety and security needs.
The Security officer will report to Security Advisor and will train staff in safety and security and provide regular briefings and updates
The position will be based in Ramadi with some visits to needed areas.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A formal security and program access education, military or police training and experience.The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts . Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English language.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Immediately report all breaches of safety and security procedures and all threats to NRC staff, beneficiaries, activities or assets to the line manager
- Facilitate staff evacuation in emergency situations
- Supervise, train and develop eventual security staff at office level
- Liaise with UN agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information in collaboration with the Field Office Coordinator
- Ensure vehicle and staff movements are monitored according to procedures and that necessary safety and security equipment are available and in good condition
- Advise and assist the Security Advisor on all safety and security aspects relevant to the establishment and maintenance of the NRC Area programme in Baghdad, Center and South;
- Ensure that NRC employees are properly trained and equipped to prevent medical emergencies and respond appropriately if they occur;
- Systematically evaluate the issue of movement and access, by mapping incidents and performing risk assessments, to produce clear recommendations and requirements for gaining and sustaining operational space;
- A formal security and program access education.
- Experience working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts; ability to remain calm and professional in tense situations
Flexible and creative
The post will be for (7) months contract duration with possible extension - subject to fund.
Salary :5/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Ramadi with some visits to NRC field operations.
For more information, please find attached the Job Description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Anbar
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2017-06-12