Technical Shelter Assistant - Construction - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
NRC is implementing a Urban shelter project in Irbid, Jerash and Ajloun Governorates. The project aims to provide adequate and secure shelters for vulnerable households, it involves assessment, planning and the supervision of construction works on a household level. The Construction Technical Assistant is responsible to conduct assessments, designs, BoQs, supervise and monitor rehabilitation works as per NRC's standards and guidelines.
- Provides direction, assigns tasks and gives instructions to daily labours and/or contractors and evaluates individual performance.
- Prepares and files accurate records of project activities and ensures all information is accurate and available in time.
- Identifies gaps, problems in the implementation area of own activities.
- Reports protection concerns to line manager(s).
- Adheres to NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Plan visits and request for movements (5%)
Prepare and develop BoQ, designs and field assessment (20%)
- Develop plans, technical documents and BoQ as required for any construction project
Be part of Field Construction Units to develop documentation
Execute field assessments, visits and/or follow up. (75%)
- Pair up with one other Construction Technical Officers or Assistants to execute field visits as field Unit (approx. 3 - 4 full days a week or equivalent).
- Inform landlord and beneficiaries about the project and their conditions.
- Build strong, professional and respectable relations with contractors (landlords) and other relevant stakeholders.
- Provide on-site expertise, interaction, and leadership. Proactively providing solutions to problems to support the project beneficiaries and actively engaging in the construction process to improve work methods, quality standards, and increase productivity.
- Other Functions that might be assigned by the supervisor.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate in engineering or architecture or equivalent with a minimum of one year previous experience in engineering and construction site supervision and management. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, and relevant work experience in a dynamic and results focused organization, and to have average English: reading, writing and speaking.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: Through 31st of December 2017
Salary/benefits: 842 JOD (subject to social security)
Duty station: Irbid
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
B: Please enter your specific city of residency in Jordan in your application.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Amman
- Grade: Services and Support
- Emergency Aid
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-06-12