Head of Evidence, Policy and Innovations Unit
Kathmandu | Nepal
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency implementing programs to fight hunger and is part of the global community working to achieve Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 2.
Lead the Evidence, Policy and Innovations (EPI) Unit in WFP Nepal, including advancing efforts with the Government of Nepal, United Nations agencies and knowledge partners (research and academic institutions) to (1) strengthen the capacities of national and local authorities to prepare for and respond to food insecurity and emergencies and (2) utilize the latest science and technology to design, implement and monitor food security and nutrition programmes.
The Consultant will report directly to the Country Director and work closely with the Head of Programme and other activity managers in the Nepal Country Office.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Manage current research and innovations related to and in support of WFP Nepal’s Programme and Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR) Units by developing and enabling state-of-the-art science- and technology-based solutions.
- Lead staff supervision and coordination, budget management, and work plan implementation for the EPI Unit.
- Oversee research and technical partnerships and maintain regular liaison with the Government of Nepal, United Nations agencies and knowledge partners.
- Prepare new technical and financial proposals and ensure close donor liaison for current and new areas of work.
- Produce high-quality strategic and analytical reports (concept notes, situation reports) for internal and external audiences.
- Represent WFP in the various cluster and working group meetings for food security, agriculture, statistics and disaster preparedness.
- Provide technical assistance to WFP programmes, including design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and capacity development, to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of these efforts.
- Support the formulation of the WFP Country Strategic Plan (2018-2022).
- Any other duties as required
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Experience: At least five years of postgraduate experience in international humanitarian assistance and development programming.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Master’s degree in Public Health, Economics, Statistics, Nutrition or other relevant field. Technical qualifications in information management, database systems, web-based applications and related field are strongly preferred.
Languages: Fluency (level C) in English language is required. Proficiency in Nepali is desirable.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of large-scale food security monitoring, nutrition surveillance and early warning systems is highly desirable. Familiarity with vulnerability analysis, remote sensing, and GIS are important.
- Experience with social protection and social safety nets, including cash transfers, in a least developed country context is an asset.
- Strong background in capacity development and system strengthening with government institutions and counterparts is required.
- Ability to analyze diverse sources of information, draw conclusions and recommend a course of action to Senior Management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with external partners (Government, donors, UN agencies, knowledge partners).
- Advanced writing and communications skills to rapidly produce high-quality written products (concept notes, proposals, status reports).
- Strong budgeting and project management skills.
- Ability to prepare a technical TOR for academic research, oversee a research project, and provide technical support throughout the process.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The duration of contract: 11 months, Renewable (multi-year project)
The position is based in Kathmandu, Nepal.
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Date of issuance of Vacancy Announcement: 26 May 2017
Deadline for applications: 11 June 2017
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Kathmandu | Nepal
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-06-11