Individual Contractor (programme coordination in the office of Deputy Representative, Accra, Ghana
UNICEF Ghana seeks the services of a committed and experienced professional to support and facilitate effective coordination and implementation of UNICEF Ghana ongoing programmes and ensure efficiency and quality of reporting. This will be done under the supervision of the Deputy Representative/OIC-Representative, and in close coordination with the Heads of Sections, and other programme staff both in Accra and Tamale and with Operations, Human Resources and Supply Chief/Managers. The individual will assist the Office in implementing activities proposed in the office work plans, with a specific focus on tracking activity progress, resource utilization, quality donor reporting, tracking key performance indicators, day to day management of programme delivery, programme results reporting and coordinate donor proposals. The consultancy will also support the monitoring and evaluation agenda of the office. The person will be engaged under terms and conditions of individual contractor for planned period of five months. Only non-Ghanaians are eligible to apply.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Representative and OIC, Representative, and in close coordination with the Heads of Sections, and other programme staff both in Accra and Tamale and with Operations, Human Resources and Supply Chief/managers, the consultant will facilitate effective coordination and implementation of ongoing programme and ensure efficiency through management of resource utilization and quality of reporting.
UNICEF Ghana is going through major changes in terms of programme design for the coming five years and human resource transition. 2017 is a critical year for preparing the grounds for the new Country Programme (2018-2022) accompanied by new staffing structure, commencing in March 2018. At the same time many of the technical leads (vacant- Chief, Child Protection, Chief of Health and Nutrition, Social Protection Specialist, Communication for Development Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager at both P4 and P3 levels) are being recruited making the continuity of programme implementation and design even more challenging. The office is not working on its full capacity due to the vacant positions.
The Deputy Representative and her office plays a major role in providing overall leadership in programme delivery and ensuring stability in office functioning under the guidance of the Representative. However, the position of the Representative is also falling vacant. While the overall coordination and continuity will remain a priority of the Deputy Representative, increasing attention to external coordination, representation, relationship building and advocacy will demand the time of the Deputy Representative as OIC Representative due to the country programme development process within the UN and with the government particularly, at a time when a new government has taken office since February 2017.
As for the foundation of the new country programme the building blocks have already been defined and agreed upon. The programme strategy notes are going through its final revisions to align it to the new UNICEF Strategic Plan. Office is at present going through the discussion on staffing structure. There is a lot of demand on staff and the Deputy Representatives office to guide the process. However, simultaneously it is crucial to maintain the momentum in effective and efficient programme delivery and meet the commitments made for 2017.
This temporary assignment hence is being requested to support the office of the deputy representative and the OIC, Representative during this transition period.
Purpose of the Assignment
The consultancy will assist the Office in implementing activities proposed in the office work plans, with a specific focus on tracking activity progress, resource utilization, quality donor reporting, tracking key performance indicators, day to day management of programme delivery, programme results reporting and coordinate donor proposals. The consultancy will also support the monitoring and evaluation agenda of the office.
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Representative/OIC-Representative, the consultant guide and advise the various sectoral teams in program implementation, monitoring and reporting including
- Participate in meetings and programme reviews including programme meetings and CMT and track Key Performance Indicators (KPI) on a monthly basis and
- Facilitate coordination of cross-sectoral work including engagement with Civil Society partners for Programme Cooperation Agreements.
- Coordinate preparation and ensure accuracy of program and operational reports including annual report, RAM and donor reports and proposals.
- Monitor the optimum and appropriate use of program resources.
- Assist the sections and the office in reviewing the Country Program recommendation.
- Monthly Programme Group Meetings and tracking and implementation of KPI
- Quality reports-annual, mid-term, RAM, donor reports and proposals based on commitments
- Quality assurance of Country Programme Document and timely submission
- Quality review of PCA’s
- Documentation of cross-sectoral work
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An Advanced University Degree in social sciences or development is required
Years of relevant experience
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in planning, monitoring and evaluation
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Experience with UNICEF as chief of programme, coordination, head of field office or as Deputy Representative
- Experience as former UNICEF staff member at P-4 /P-5, an asset
- Strong familiarity with UNICEF programme policies, procedures and processes (especially the UNICEF evaluation policy and UNEG norms and standards for evaluation in the UN system) required
- Familiarity with the UNICEF Results assessment module (RAM) required
- Fluency in English is required
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please attached your detailed Curriculum Vitae and Personal History (P11) form. Please confirm your availability for the five months and indicate your monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference. Applications submitted without a monthly rate may not be considered. UNICEF Ghana will handle all official travels related to this assignment.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Accra
- Grade: Level not specified
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-06-20