VN 2017/121 (P) - Senior Regional Adviser Americas (D1) - Geneva, Switzerland
Position Title Senior Regional Adviser Americas
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade D1
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 13 June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru,
Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of
Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
3. External female candidates.
In support of the responsibility of the Office of the Director General to provide institutional leadership, set institutional goals and priorities and maintain global oversight of IOMs activities, the principal function of the successful candidate is to ensure effective coordination, communication and coherence between Headquarters (HQs), Regional Offices (ROs) and field missions. Under the direction of the Director General and Deputy Director General, and in close cooperation with the Department of International Cooperation and Partnerships (ICP), other HQs departments and Regional and Field missions, s/he will be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in his/her respective region:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Inform and advise the Director General, the Deputy Director General and other HQs departments, in coordination with regional offices and field missions, of emerging trends and developments including regional and national policy initiatives of strategic importance to IOM. Page 1 / 42. Maintain regular liaison with Permanent Missions, governmental and non-governmental organizations, international organizations, regional institutions and other relevant bodies, in Geneva and in the region, in accordance with the interests and purposes of the organization. 3. Support ICP in matters related to IOM Governing Bodies including liaison with Permanent Missions, governmental and non-governmental organizations, international organizations, regional institutions and other relevant bodies, in Geneva and in the region. 4. As required, act as the Director General’s and Deputy Director General’s focal point for regional offices and field missions on institutional matters which require direct support and action from HQs.
5. Contribute to and coordinate the development of IOM’s regional strategy, in close cooperation with the Regional Directors.
6. Participate in Regional Policy Formulation and Coordinating Committees to enhance regional coherence and coordination.
7. Contribute regional knowledge and expertise in support of the functions of the Policy Formulation and Management Coordination Committees and provide timely advice to the Office of the Director General.
8. In support of ICP, regional offices and field missions, contribute regional expertise to regional consultative processes and multilateral forums and foster intra- and inter-regional coherence and coordination.
9. Serve as regional resource person for various units at HQs, regional offices and field missions, as required, in matters related to publications, donor relations, web site management, press briefings and personnel/administrative issues, so as to ensure consistency, credibility and image of IOM in the region.
stimulating and supporting opportunities for new programme activities.
11. Prepare briefings and background information on regional and national issues for meetings of the Director General and Deputy Director General, including special reports as requested by ODG.
12. Represent the Director General, the Deputy Director General and the Organization at international and regional conferences as well as internal/external meetings. 13. Undertake, as regularly as possible, visits to the field to maintain close contact with the regional offices and field missions.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Office of the Director General. Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with fifteen years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the field of migration issues including operational and field experience, IOM Page 2 / 4project development, and management;
• Experience in international relations, migration and in international development matters; • Extensive experience in fundraising and public relations, as well as in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and international institutions. Knowledge and experience of regional issues is an advantage;
• Sound knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization. Good knowledge of with financial and business administration and of the principles and practices of management.
Fluency in English and Spanish is required. Working knowledge of French and other UN official languages is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 13 June 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html Page 3 / 4In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 31.05.2017 to 13.06.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/121 (P) - Senior Regional Adviser Americas (D1) - Geneva, Switzerland (55075253) Released
Posting: Posting NC55075269 (55075269) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: D-1, Director - Senior Executive level
- Closing Date: 2017-06-13