Financial Planning and Analysis Manager
Edinburgh | Nepalgunj
Reports to Director of Finance
Travel Some travel is a requirement of the role
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps Europe (MCE) has grown rapidly both in terms of the volume of activity and its complexity. With offices in Edinburgh, London and Geneva, we now attract over £80m in income, and employ around 100 domestic and expatriate field team members. The breadth and impact of our programmes makes Mercy Corps a unique and truly rewarding place to work. Our teams are proud of what we achieve in the field and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our passion and commitment.
The Finance Planning and Analysis (FP&A) Manager is a new position within the agency, created as a result of the significant growth of Mercy Corps in Europe. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious FP&A professional to contribute significantly to building the finance function that will support our further development, internal controls and expansion.
The FP&A Manager will provide the valuable contribution of forward-looking management of financial planning – forecasting, budgeting and highlighting performance issues where escalation is required to the MCE Senior Leadership team. Reporting to our Director of Finance, who has recently joined MCE, s/he will work closely with the finance department, which includes the Financial Controller, and with the international finance teams, who manage all the financial stages of MCE grant management, from proposal development and initial budgeting, to compliance and final reporting.
The successful candidate will be proactive, thoughtful and inquisitive, someone who is able to get deep into data but also have a clear vision of, and a passion for, the bigger end goal. Ideally, s/he will be used to working in an international environment and dealing with high value contracts. The ability to build excellent relationships across the organisation will be key to success in the role. Strong skills of data extraction and manipulation and exemplary Excel skills are also a necessity.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Planning and Analysis
- Lead financial planning and analysis in line with strategic vision set by senior management. Translate strategic vision into actionable work plans.
- Own and give direction to MCE's budget and planning development process.
- Develop and implement forecasting models and review performance against actuals and budget.
- Initiate, create and maintain a range of regular financial models, reports and analysis, including performance analysis and metrics reports, ensuring information is meaningful, clear and fitting for the audience it serves, and report templates and preparation of reports for Board and Senior Management.
- Analyse and optimise support cost reporting in conjunction with increasing forecast frequency.
- Provide month-end analysis, prepare Board and Committee books with commentary for Finance Director.
- Work closely with international colleagues to ensure clear communication of pertinent information, sharing of best practice and to identify more efficient ways of working.
- Act as a cross-functional business partner and make analysis and recommendations on procedures, processes and systems to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of MCE finance function, whilst taking into account appropriate controls and integrity of financial information and resources.
- Undertake special projects and ad hoc analysis as required.
Relationships and Team Working
- Build and maintain strong working relationships across the organisation at all levels, particularly with Finance in the US, and with Financial Controller and Head of International Finance in Europe.
- Work confidently with budget holders and present to Director-level colleagues where appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to extract data and information that inform analysis and future planning.
- Provide colleagues with appropriate information and resources to improve performance of the finance function and reach organisational objectives.
- As part of our commitment to organisational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organisations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- Fully or part-qualified accountant, or equivalent experience.
- Ideally five years' experience in an FP&A role, or comparable position.
- Strong data extraction and manipulation skills, and advanced Excel skills.
- Demonstrable analytical and report-writing skills.
- Experience of working in a multi-national organisation (ideally with a US entity) is strongly preferred.
- Exposure to working in a matrix structure and/or a consultancy environment would be an advantage.
- Experience of working in organisations dealing with high value contracts preferred.
- Highly analytical but able to see the bigger picture - has the desire to create positive change on a large scale and the vision to see how his/her work will have larger impact.
- Pro-active, flexible, problem-solving approach.
- Ability to prioritise workload and work well under pressure.
- Innovative and able to think outside the box.
- Can carve out processes to reach end goal.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills - able to communicate complex information effectively across the organisation and build effective working relationships.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Passion for, and a clear empathy with, the organisation's aims and values.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally as required.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a short term assignment to the field. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country locations.
Please note that applicants must have the right to work in the UK to be eligible for this role.**
- Organization: Mercy Corps
- Location: Edinburgh | Nepalgunj
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Finance and Banking
- Office Management, Administration and Finance
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2017-06-29