Gardeners (3 positions)
(Ref. No. NRS/207/052017)
GARDENERS (3 POSITIONS)
icipe — African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences. Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya. icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity. The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe. In addition, more than 150 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually. For more information visit: www. icipe.org
Please also download icipe’s Vision and Strategy 2013–2020 http://www.icipe.org/publications/corporatepublications/vision-and-strategy
icipe seeks to recruit Gardeners to work in the Finance and Administration Unit, Facilities and Assets Section. The positions are tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville campus. Each position is for an initial fixed-term of 2 years, renewable, based on performance and availability of funds. This is a nationally recruited position. A competitive and generous compensation package will be offered to the right candidates. Only shortlisted candidates meeting the itemised requirements will be contacted. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Overall purpose of the job
To landscape and maintain the grounds using hand tools, power tools or equipment.
- Water lawns, trees, or plants, using portable sprinkler systems, hoses, or watering cans.
- Trim or pick flowers and clean flower beds.
- Prune and trim trees, shrubbery, and hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
- Irrigate lawns, trees, or plants.
- Mow and edge lawns, using power mowers and lawn edgers.
- Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, removing grass, and trimming and edging around flowerbeds, walks, and walls.
- Gather and remove litter.
- Use hand tools such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, handsaws, hedge and brush trimmers, and axes.
- Operate ground maintenance equipment such as mowers, tractors, chainsaws, electric clippers, cutters, and pruning saws.
- Maintain and repair tools, equipment, and structures such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, and benches, using hand and power tools.
- Mix and spray or spread fertiliser, herbicide, or insecticide onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, and other grounds features.
- Dispose of trash or waste materials.
- Decorate gardens with stones or plants.
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education, D+ and above.
- Certificate in Horticulture will be an added advantage.
- Candidate must demonstrate knowledge of ground maintenance practices.
- Candidate must demonstrate ability to propagate plants and flowers, and tree pruning skills.
- Candidate must demonstrate ability to work with basic gardening equipment.
- Experience of gardening in a research setting will be an added advantage but not a must.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors/management.
- Candidates must demonstrate good customer service skills.
Other desirable attributes
- Strong team player that is results-oriented.
- Must possess degree of independent judgment.
- Good interpersonal skills.
This position reports to the Facilities and Assets Manager.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted up to 9th June 2017, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier. Interested applicants should submit: (a) a confidential cover letter, (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
- Organization: ICIPE - International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Junior
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2017-06-09