Abuja | Abuja
Background Information - Job-specific
The officer among other things will support and organizes laboratory related work by ensuring some documentations, quality assurances, equipment standards, trainings, consolidating laboratory data, supporting procurement, inventory, storage and distribution of laboratory commodities, and arranging reports for decision making. Maintains quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance and advanced trouble shooting; calibrating equipment utilizing approved testing procedures; monitoring quality control measures and protocols.
- Coordinate the Laboratory supplies and demand process including ordering, procurement, warehousing and distribution of laboratory supplies.
- Coordinate reports on Laboratory inventory and LMIS for the Project
- Support the Forecasting and Quantification of Laboratory commodities
- Development of standard tools for evaluation & troubleshooting of laboratory equipment.
- Development & revision of Instrument maintenance policy and manuals.
- Liaising with manufacturer’s service engineers to ensure the continuous functionality of all laboratory equipment.
- Liaising closely with other medical professionals, such as doctors and nurses as well as with end-users (patients and their care-givers) to ensure proper understanding and utilization of laboratory protocols and equipment.
- Supporting and training of Secondary Health Facilities personnel on the protocols for quality in the laboratory.
- Plan, monitor and supervise mentoring and coaching of site personnel on Laboratory techniques.
- Track and diagnoses equipment malfunctions and dismantles and repairs equipment.
- Evaluate quality control and quality assurance statistics
- Develop and update SOP manuals as and when needed
- Design of protocols for efficient quality management of a clinical laboratory.
- Test new and improved laboratory methods and procedures.
- Prepare laboratory notes, charts and graphs and writes up results of examinations.
- Keep accurate monthly Laboratory Project Records
- Prepare & distribute testing panels for Quality Laboratory Assessment
- Management of staff Performance at Secondary Health Facilities Laboratories
- Serve as resource persons for GF laboratory trainings
- Trains or supervises training of partner laboratory staff.
- Preparation of training manuals
- On-site hands-on trainings on general Laboratory procedures
- Case-based demonstrations of proper laboratory procedures
- Auditing of the laboratory system
- Monitoring of product (laboratory reagents and supplies) consumption rate
- Monitoring of the storage condition of commodities at Health Facilities, zonal warehouses, laboratories etc.
- In collaboration with other program team members, ensure monthly collation of Laboratory data from the zonal warehouses
- Compile a comprehensive report for all laboratory item
- Facilitate sample logging between facilities to support a facility with faulty equipment.
- Ensure that there is no stock-out of reagents and supplies at facilities.
• Bachelor degree in Medical Laboratory technology, and related field.
• 5 years of relevant work experience in managing laboratory supply chain in the development world.
• Experience working with the relevant health programs ATMRH would be an added advantage.
• Knowledge of donor government environment is required.
• Proficiency in Laboratory supply management system tracking and design.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills, as well as system troubleshooting.
• Excellent communication and technical writing skills .
• Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Language Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
• Excellent communication and technical writing skills
• Good interpersonal skills and a team player
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration:6 Months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Mandatory cover letter: All applicants are requested to support their application by a one-page cover letter explaining the skills, experiences and characteristics that make them especially suited to the advertised position.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Abuja | Abuja
- Grade: LICA-8, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-06-05