On-call Legal Consultant – Retainer position
Background Information - Job-specific
The second phase of the Livelihood Enhancement for the Most Vulnerable Roma Communities in Belgrade project (Let’s Build a Home Together - LBHT2) will provide durable housing solutions, in multi-family social housing building or village houses, for up to 50 Roma families currently residing in mobile settlements. The project is funded by the European Union (EU) with 1.5 million Euros and will be implemented by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), in a partnership with the City of Belgrade over 24 months.
The project is aligned with the City of Belgrade Action Plan for the Resettlement of the Residents of Makiš, Resnik, Jabučki Rit and Kijevo Container Settlements (RAP).
In order to ensure sustainability of action, the project has been prepared taking into account the provision of the key Republic of Serbia’s strategic documents and legislation, primarily the Strategy for Social Inclusion of Roma Men and Women, but also those that focus on the improvement of the human rights, freedom and equality of the vulnerable groups. The action is fully in line with the international human rights law and the United Nations (UN) standards of the right to adequate standards of living.The project will be implemented in cooperation with the European Integration Office of the Government of the Republic of Serbia, the Office for Human and Minority Rights, the Social Inclusion and Poverty Reduction Unit, as well as the National Minority Council of the Roma National Minority.
Under the overall guidance of the National Project Officer, the On-call Legal Consultant will undertake the following general tasks/duties:
- In line with positive Serbian legislative, rules and regulations review and provide legal opinion about documents regarding property ownership for village houses proposed for purchasing
- Establish and maintain communication with the owners/vendors of the proposed village houses
- Support the beneficiary families and the owners/vendors in the process of preparing necessary documentation required for the process of purchasing village houses
- Prepare the agreements and contracts related to purchasing of village houses
- Maintain and facilitate access to the notary system for beneficiaries and vendors
- Ensure obtaining of the ownership list for the purchased village houses
- Prepare a report which will analyse tasks achieved, suggest procedures and propose solutions for specific legal issues in the process of purchasing of village houses to the National Project Officer and the project team
- Undertake any other responsibilities that may be assigned as and when required by the National Project Officer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law is required
- Master’s Degree in relevant discipline will be considered as an asset
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience in the field of providing legal support in project environment is required
- Experience with the international organisations is an asset
- Experience with vulnerable groups and/or village housing projects is an asset
- Fluency in Serbian is required
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English is desirable
- Driving license and ability to travel independently is required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Understanding of local government and knowledge of national laws
- Understanding of the real estate sector and local economy
- Demonstrates commitment to UNOPS' mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, and nationality sensitivity and adaptability
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent organisational and inter-personal skills
- Strong writing and good presentation and facilitation skills
- Ability to motivate others and inspire change
- Respect of professional standards
- Focuses on result and responds positively to feedback
- Willing to share knowledge and experience
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Strong IT skills
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: Local ICA 8
Contract duration: Up to 40 work days in period from June to December 2017, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funds availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information – UNOPS Serbia
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: LICA-8, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2017-06-18