Finance Associate (Internal), Multiple positions
Colombo | Colombo
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS Sri Lanka
The UNOPS Office for Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives and Bhutan operates under the UNOPS Asia Regional Office. While the office provides technical, operational and administrative support to the four countries under its direct supervision, it also provides support services to other UNOPS country offices as required. UNOPS work in this region focuses on the construction and operation of high quality sustainable infrastructure and sustainable procurement, project management, timely provision of services, and the use of most relevant technologies. Such projects provide social and economic benefits to vulnerable populations across the country, and contribute to poverty eradication. This includes construction of schools, hospitals, water networks, urban sewerage and drainage facilities, harbours and anchorages, waste management facilities, climate change mitigation, as well as a range of “soft” support aiming at anchoring the concepts of Disaster Risk Reduction for Resilience (DRR4R) and Build Back Better in government systems and capacities, as well as strengthening the overall sustainability of public infrastructure through robust operations and maintenance structures, local governance, etc.
Globally, UNOPS is putting a strong focus on sustainability. This is translated in UNOPS Strategic Framework through the strengthening of key contribution goals such as Sustainable Infrastructure and Sustainable Procurement, taking into consideration cross cutting dimensions of national capacity building, social, economic and environmental sustainability. Within rapidly evolving local and international contexts, increasing national capacities and shifting needs identified in the region, UNOPS is steering its intervention strategy towards an agenda focusing on environmental issues, climate change, resilient infrastructure, and disaster risk reduction.
UNOPS operates within the overall framework of the UN Sustainable Development Frameworks in the above mentioned countries, and has developed a number of partnerships over the years, with governments, other UN agencies, donor agencies and the private sector. In Sri Lanka and the Maldives, UNOPS is leading several innovative initiatives on Climate change, water security and waste management; In Bangladesh, UNOPS is working on organizational capacity building and sustainable and resilient infrastructure.
The incumbent will have a direct reporting line to the Finance Officer
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Finance Associate will work under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Officer and report to the same. S/He shall provide support to the delivery of financial services facilitating transparent and efficient utilisation of financial resources. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations. He/she works closely with the Project Managers and Hub personnel for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange in a timely fashion.
Hub/ Project support
Provide support to the Finance Officer in:
- Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of effective internal control framework.
- Assist in the effective and accurate management of Hub budgets ( Management and LMDC, Investment Funds and Growth and Innovation Fund as applicable);
- Review and confirmation of appropriateness of operational transactions processed through the interpretation and determination of applicable policies, regulations and rules.
- Monitor payments and follow-up to conclusion when problems arise.
- Assist in cash management processes, including cash flow analysis, operational advance and petty cash, bank relationship management and reconciliation of all transactions.
- Support Audit processes, year-end closures, and other reporting requirements as specified by Headquarters.
- Assist in the maintenance and management of segregation of duties across all Hub operations to project and country level providing finance support in areas such as raising/review of vouchers as appropriate.
- Conduct training initiatives and ensure transfer of knowledge to finance technicians throughout the Hub as requested by the Finance Officer.
- Dispatching payments to the banks
- Preparation of bank reconciliation report. Review for discrepancies and action as required.
- Preparation of ad hoc, recurring or special financial reports as requested by the Finance Officer.
- Review of financial reports prepared by the Project
- In collaboration with the Finance Officer identification of problems in financial and administrative areas, suggesting alternative solutions to resolve issues in compliance with broader UNOPS policies, rules and procedures.
Administration and Logistics
- Maintain records/ archives, and as appropriate conduct the efficient destruction of expired documents in accordance with UNOPS policies.
- Maintain close communication with the Support Units (HR, Procurement, PSO) and projects to ensure constant exchange of best practices and standardization of approaches;
- Provide inputs and suggestions to the Finance Officer as appropriate to streamline workflows/business processes and document templates/formats;
- As required take part as a member on evaluation panels.
- Other duties as requested by the Finance Officer.
- High school diploma is required. A Bachelor or master’s degree in accounting, finance or related field will be considered a strong asset.
- 6 years of experience in financial management or support functions are required with a high school degree. A BA or a MA degree may substitute for some or all the required years of experience respectively
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is an asset
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of one of the officially recognized native languages of Sri Lanka is required
- Progressive working experience of financial management.
- Computer literate (MS Excel and Word) and ability to operate Enterprise Resource Planning Systems is essential;
- Strong working knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations is essential.
- Understanding of project framework and environment;
- Knowledge of UN core values, rules and regulations an asset is an advantage;
- Excellent English skills, both verbally and in writing, local languages an advantage;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team to achieve organizational goals;
- Ability to plan and organize tasks effectively;
- Excellent coordination skills.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type:Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level:LICA Level 6
Contract duration:One year renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- This post is only open for candidates who are nationals of Sri Lanka
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Colombo | Colombo
- Grade: LICA-6, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2017-06-02